Forum

AquaRank.com

New Starter Advice

Stocking compatibility? Setting up tank and equipment?

New Starter Advice

Postby hotstepper » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:25 pm

Hi All,

This is my first post so please go easy on me…lol.

Some background:
I used to run a marine reef, mostly soft coral, 5x2x2 in size. Because of a house move, I have had to shut the tank down.

I’m now in the very early stages of planning a tank so am trying to gain as much understanding and information as I can in an attempt to limit potential mistakes.
I am leading toward Malawis, as I understand that they are pretty hardy and I have seen some amazing fish and setups in person.

Ideally, I will be looking at setting up at a 6 foot tank. My primary questions revolve around water and quality etc.
Naturally, reef keeping came with a lot of challenges, for me anyway! Specifically staying on top of water parameters!

Questions:
1) Water: I have seen many videos of people using straight up tap water, direct into their tanks for water changes, is it really that simple?
My water is currently supplied by Affinty Water, and I have been given the following information (full water report attached):
a) Is general hardness the same as total hardness?
b) Is the nitrate level of my water too high?
c) I am thinking of using a conditioner such as Seachem Safe, based on the parameters of my tap water, is that necessary?
d) Is there anything else, apart from Safe, that I need to do/add to my water?

2) Stocking: I like the look of Mbuna, can one or two Peacocks be added, or is it best to purely pick one or the other species?

3) I like the idea of a sump, opposed to canister filters as I can hide heaters etc. What sort of media is best, how many chambers for the sump etc? can I grow plants in the sump to keep nitrates, PO4 down etc, if so, what are they? I used to grow cheto in my reef sump for this reason.

Thanks for reading, and apologies if these are noob questions!

HARD WATER
The area supplied by Affinity Water has 'hard' water. The hardness occurs naturally and is characterised by the presence of high levels of calcium and magnesium, which are good for healthy teeth and bones.
CALCIUM 131 mg/l
Calcium is the principal constituent of hardness.

TOTAL HARDNESS 327.5 mg/l
Total hardness is usually expressed in terms of calcium carbonate and is measured in milligrammes per litre (mg/l) which is the same as parts per million (ppm). The recognised classification scheme we are using is: 0-75 soft, 76-150 moderately hard, 151-300 hard, 300+ very hard. Your water is very hard.

Degrees English (or Clarke) 22.925
phContent hardness measurement is used on some British appliances.

Degrees German 18.34
phContent is used on some German appliances.

Degrees French 32.75
phContent is used on some French appliances.

MILLIMOLS 3.275 mmol/l
Millimols per litre. Some appliances refer to water hardness in millimols per litre (mmol/l).

FLUORIDE 0.185 mg/l
Fluoride naturally occurs in the water in many areas. Affinity Water does not add any fluoride to your water. Fluoride is measured in milligrammes per litre (mg/l).
hotstepper

Return to Setting up help and advice.