Forum

AquaRank.com

Some advice on first mbuna setup and stocking please.

Stocking compatibility? Setting up tank and equipment?

Some advice on first mbuna setup and stocking please.

Postby Scott73 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:02 pm

Hi, I'm currently in the process of setting up my first mbuna tank and was wondering if anyone could give me a little advice regarding anything I may have overlooked with my setup and my initial stocking list?

Tank - fluval Roma 240L
Filtration - fluval 305 & 406 external (combined 2600 lph)
Lighting - beamswork LED
Substrate - coral sand
Hard scale - limestone sourced from a local quarry

I'm in a hard water area, the ph straight from the tap is 7.6-7.8 do you think this combined with the coral sand and limestone would put me close to where I need to be with adding anything extra to buffer the water?

As for stocking, I've looked on Tony's site and have picked out what I personally found visually appealing, but would like to know if they are well suited as tank mates and whether they are advised for someone who is a seasoned fishkepper yet new to mbuna.

Labidochromis super red top
Labidochromis caeruleu
Pseudotropheus elongatus chailosi
Pseudotropheus ndumbi red top
Cynotilapia afra jailo reef
Metriaclima aurora

As for numbers, I see the site sells most of these as x4, if the above list is suitable that would be a total of 24, would this be way overstocking a 240L tank? I know cichlid tanks are best oberstocked to help curb aggression, I'm just not sure to what level.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Scott.
Scott73
EGG
EGG

Re: Some advice on first mbuna setup and stocking please.

Postby bradderz123 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:30 am

Set up looks good to me. Your PH would be fine - what's critical is consistency in all water chemistry. I've never kept Chailosi so wouldn't want to comment on it but all the others would be fine.

I think your numbers would be ok especially as I assume you will also add a clean up crew?

My tank is slightly smaller than yours and I have 25 Malawis and 3 Bristlenoses and 6 Botia. I do have to manage my water well but aside from that I've had few problems.

All my Malawis have come via Tony - really good quality fish - and if you ring him he'll confirm what a good mix is likely to be. Not an exact science here though as you can always get a rogue, however, buying juveniles and growing on has worked well for me - issues have only occurred when I've wanted to add a new fish especially if adult.
Otopharynx Lithobates
Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef
Neo Omnicaeruleus Makobe
Pseudotropheus Polits
Aulonocara Firefish Ice
Lab Super Red Top Hongi
Ndumbi Super Red Top
Socolofi 'Snowflake'
Lab Caeruleus
Lab Chisumulae
Bristlenoses
Botia Striata/Kubotai
bradderz123
ADULT
ADULT

Re: Some advice on first mbuna setup and stocking please.

Postby Scott73 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback Bradderz, I had considered a few extras for clean up duties but I'm not 100% sure on what to go for. My current setup is heavily planted and had used amano shrimp for keeping things nice and clean in there. The tanks getting stripped out, fully cleaned then setup and scaped over the weekend, although the filters are well matured I'm expecting a mini cycle to kick in what with all the old rock, wood and plants being removed, so that will give me a little time to look at clean up crew options.
If anyone else is reading this what do you all use? Is it essential to have non cichlids for clean up duties?
Again, any feedback and pointers would be great.

Cheers,

Scott.
Scott73
EGG
EGG

Return to Setting up help and advice.