Forum

AquaRank.com

Automatic water changing - Reefloat

for all your product, food, and so on reviews

Automatic water changing - Reefloat

Postby bradderz123 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:23 pm

So to give a bit of background. Due to having an operation on my hip I needed to find a way to complete my 90l, per week, water changes without placing the onus on my son to carry numerous buckets and all the parafunalia that's associated with water changing - especially as my 'recovery time' is expected to run into months.

One of the forum members kindly suggested 'Reefloat'. I made contact and spent a good half hour discussing the product with Gordon (from Reefloat) who was incredibly helpful. I decided to 'go for it' as it seemed to offer a complete solution to my problem (albeit I was troubled, initially, by the method They do a range of sizes but I decided to go for the 93l one so that my water change would happen in one go.

Currently the units seem to appeal mainly to marine keepers - but with the overstocking one does of malawis and resultant water requirements it seemed to me to be worth investing in.
WHAT REEFLOAT SAY: The Reefloat AWC Automated Water Changer AWC93 Litre cuts out the need for numerous containers, mixing pumps, manual syphoning and all the mess that goes with it!

The unit when used at room temperature requires no heating as the new and old water are mixed slowly during the exchange meaning there is no appreciable change in water temperature within the aquarium.

Note: should there be a large temperature difference then inclusion of an aquarium heater is recommended.

It is not just temperature though; all the parameters including pH are changed slowly over the course of the water change meaning no sudden shocks to fish. As well as meaning all the equipment in the aquarium can be left running as there is no change in water level within the aquarium. This hands out approach can only be beneficial to livestock.

A 93 ltr container will do a 10% change on a 840 litre system. The few litres of new water that will be disposed of when the Automatic Water Change Tank is disconnected is a fair trade when all the benefits of the system are taken into account.

AWC93 is the newly released version of the AWC85
93 litre capacity
Now inclusive of a "compact" pre-filter along with a redesigned control system
Great for the larger tank!
Height 500mm Width 310mm Length 600mm

WHAT I SAY:
It does what it says on the tin. My process now is:
1. Fill water butt with nitrate filtered water (same as before)
2. Pump this water into the Reefloat (used to transfer into numerous containers0
3. Heat water overnight (used to have several containers being heated overnight)
4. Switch it on and let it do its thing (its fully automated and in the case of this size unit the change happens over a four hour period - but for that period you have nothing more to do)
5. Pump the 'replaced' water, once the change has finished, into the garden.

(I bought a pump for £14 and 10m of tubing for £7 - which completes all I needed to action the above).

My concerns over the replacement of water with 'mixed water' have been removed - my water was 24ppm (nitrates) before the change and (13ppm) after - not quite as good as I was getting following my manual process but well within what I consider suitable parameters.

I can see the cost being a potential issue as tropical fish keepers aren't quite as free with their money as marine ones but the units start at £169 - however, the hours I've now saved in the past three weeks (and the lack of grief from the wife) makes me very comfortable that its a worthy investment.

I've had reason to contact Gordon post purchase (needed more info) and the aftersales was excellent.

I'm very happy with my piece of kit and water changes now take up about 10-15 minutes of my time every week (steps 2 and 5 above) :tu:
Otopharynx Lithobates
Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef
Neo Omnicaeruleus Makobe
Pseudotropheus Polits
Aulonocara Firefish Ice
Lab Super Red Top Hongi
Ndumbi Super Red Top
Socolofi 'Snowflake'
Lab Caeruleus
Lab Chisumulae
Bristlenoses
Botia Striata/Kubotai
bradderz123
ADULT
ADULT

Re: Automatic water changing - Reefloat

Postby bradderz123 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:07 pm

Did a bit of a rescape - took half hour, then walked away while the water change did itself! I love this bit of kit!
Otopharynx Lithobates
Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef
Neo Omnicaeruleus Makobe
Pseudotropheus Polits
Aulonocara Firefish Ice
Lab Super Red Top Hongi
Ndumbi Super Red Top
Socolofi 'Snowflake'
Lab Caeruleus
Lab Chisumulae
Bristlenoses
Botia Striata/Kubotai