Forum

AquaRank.com

Pundamilia igneopinnis tank setup help!

Here you can talk about all Victorian Cichlids.

Pundamilia igneopinnis tank setup help!

Postby Duds1000 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:57 am

Hi now that I know that Paul has passed his Pundamilia igneopinnis on to cichlid crazy and as that is the vic i would like!
( sorry cichlid crazy i will be PM - ing you when im allowed :handgestures-thumbup: ) Would like to know about tank size, rock work, filters to use, feeding them and do they need to be keep on there own? Im picking up some hippo point this week!!! so the vic bug has started!!!! thats what i love about fish keeping, keeping and breeding fish for almost 40 years and still finding something new to keep and breed!!!!
Im also selling some of many L number plecs to make room for more vics!!! so i must be hooked on vics!!!!
Duds1000
EGG
EGG

Re: Pundamilia igneopinnis tank setup help!

Postby cichlid crazy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:49 pm

We keep our group in a 6 foot tank with an external Fluval 305 (think that's which filter it is :doh: ) and also have a 3 inch airstone ball for extra aeration, there's a coral sand substrate with a mix of decor, theres a 3ft long pile of brain coral and holey rocks, some Mopani/bogwood, couple of plastic pipes under rocks, a plec log and there's also a giant 12 inch diameter terracotta pot which they all like to spawn in and especially the male Iggys like to blend in (see pic below :text-lol: ) - its not exactly pretty but is very fuctional but it has plenty of hidey holes and they seem to like it otherwise they wouldn't spawn.

As for keeping them on their own............... no as they are quite peaceful except to their own kind, our lots tank mates are:
Breeding trio of Hippo-point Salmon - Breeding quad of Hap sp Ruby Green - Breeding pair of Paralabidochromis Rock Kribensis - an L191 Dull-eyed Royal Panaque and a Gibbiceps hence the bogwood - group of Daffodil Brichardi - loads of Astatotilapia Burtoni and a single lonely female Copadichromis Crysonotus.
Feed them on a mix of Spirulina flake, basic tropical flake and chopped prawns as a weekly treat alos sometimes feed them granular foods too.
Cr@ppy tank:
Couple of the inmates:
Iggy boss blending in:
cichlid crazy

Postby cichlid crazy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:51 pm

You should let us all know what L nos you're moving on cause there's plenty of folks on here who like them too................ including me. :text-lol:
cichlid crazy

Postby Duds1000 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks for the info , your tank looks great and a very nice list of fish!! it lets me know what I have to do, so you have the iggys breeding? so i might get some igneopinnis yet :handgestures-thumbup: please!!!! As for the L numbers I have sold some Adult L066 L333 and L200.
Still have Groups of L046,L066,L333 and L260. ( cost £££ but I never see them) Both the L333 and L260 have spawned this week! I have the eggs in an egg tumbler!!! Forgot to ask in the last post are the iggys hard to breed?
Duds1000
EGG
EGG

Postby Paul B » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:25 pm

I would be careful mixing them with peacocks, they are peaceful to a degree but can inflict serious damage when they need to. I will dig up some info on their natural habitat when time allows.
I find breeding vics is all down to the food the girls get and if they get any agro from domineering fish.
Who you getting your hippo's from ?

The vics are looking real nice caz :handgestures-thumbup:
Image Image Image Image
Paul B
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Duds1000 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:37 pm

Hi Paul,
as I have a few tanks im hoping to keep the vics in there own tanks! I now know I can mix some of the vics but I will only do that if I run out of tank space!! The hippos are comeing from a breeder in England I really dont know who he/she is!!! a friend of mine who breeds tanganyikans is going down to pick up some fish for himself and will collect them for me I will find out the breeders name that he is picking them up from and let you know perhaps not on open forum!!! I know some breeders dont use forums and dont like there name in print and thats fine, I respect that. Anyway are most vics available to breeders or are they hard to come by? dont want to have a wish list then have no chance of getting them and why are there so little breeder of Vics compared to Tang/Malawi breeders? sorry I need to know these things I cant help it :text-lol:
Duds1000
EGG
EGG

Postby cichlid crazy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:57 pm

Duds1000 wrote:Hi Paul,
Anyway are most vics available to breeders or are they hard to come by? dont want to have a wish list then have no chance of getting them and why are there so little breeder of Vics compared to Tang/Malawi breeders? sorry I need to know these things I cant help it :text-lol:

Some Vics species have always been readily available but getting good quality is the harder thing with these, things like the Latifasciata and SP44's are what I am referring to here, then there's the one's that are less common like the Pundamillia, Nubila, Rock kribs etc, most of these are harder to get initially but are becoming more widely available as breeders get them distributed around the country better then there's the hard to get................... quite frankly there's so many Vic species that are on the endangered list that its criminal but theres lots of Vics species I have never seen available for sale which is why poor Paul still has stumps where his arms used to be from when we found out about the Iggy's cause neither of us had ever seen them up for sale anywhere.............. he had to travel to Hull Uni and France to get this mixed blood group together and bloody good on him for doing it. (for Paul :clap: :clap: )

So far we've had 3 broods from these but we're waiting and growing them on until we get a large number sorted then we already have 'almost stumps' for when we are ready to sell them. :handgestures-thumbup:
cichlid crazy

Postby Duds1000 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:24 pm

Now i get it!!! Ok I can wait for the iggy's :text-lol: If you have a list please add me to it :handgestures-thumbup: Kidding apart I will get some of the more easy to get hold of vics first, did that with the plecs as well as most of the l numbers I have are banned from import it makes sence that they should go to breeders with some experience first. I live in hope!!!
Duds1000
EGG
EGG

Postby LIKOMAMAN » Mon May 10, 2010 3:48 pm

Duds1000 wrote:Now i get it!!! Ok I can wait for the iggy's :text-lol: If you have a list please add me to it :handgestures-thumbup: Kidding apart I will get some of the more easy to get hold of vics first, did that with the plecs as well as most of the l numbers I have are banned from import it makes sence that they should go to breeders with some experience first. I live in hope!!!

bought some of these guys saturday 14 of them was i right in buying them a black fish , would it have been cheaper to put burn a fish in a toaster :text-lol:

on apostive not they are pretty :happy-jumpeveryone:
LIKOMAMAN

Postby cichlid crazy » Mon May 17, 2010 11:53 pm

Where did you manage to get hold of these from Lekh and where are me pics then??? :text-lol:
cichlid crazy

Next

Return to Victoria