Forum

AquaRank.com

Rainwater?

Here you can talk about all Malawi cichlids.

Rainwater?

Postby Collbrum » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:06 am

Hi Guys, After a successful trial I am now using rainwater for all my water changes and wondered if anyone else had tried this?

I live in Cornwall UK and our tap water is naturally around PH 6.6 - 6.8. We're also on a water meter and pay the highest water rates in the whole of the UK!! So anything I could do to reduce my tap water useage was welcome. I now do a 50% water change weekly in my 350 ltr Mbuna tank, pumping rainwater straight from the water butts (2 x 350 ltr) in the garden. I've been doing this for 5 months now with no adverse effects. The water i pump OUT of the aquarium goes to a separate tank and is used to water the lawn/plants etc as the Nitrite content is beneficial.

I still treat the water with water conditioner (Tetra Aquasafe) despite the lack of chlorine and then add bicarb of soda and epson salts to achieve the correct PH and GH/KH

The fish seem happy (still breeding anyway!) I've reduced my water consumption and have a ready supply of nitrite rich lawn fertiliser!

Total cost, including the pump, was around £120 but I like the eco friendliness of it and it will pay for itself in the long run!

Next step is to get it plumbed through the external wall to save running hose through the house - but don't tell the Mrs.
Collbrum

Re: Rainwater?

Postby gavinh87 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:50 pm

Good idea, i like it!
gavinh87
EGG
EGG

Postby bradderz123 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:12 am

Sounds a good idea.

I've considered this, in the past, but was put off by articles relating to the quality. My water would either run off a garage roof (over bitumen etc) or the main roof (over some moss etc) - doesn't this suggest many potential chemicals? I also read about the initial rainfall was most unclean.

Whilst you say the fish are ok could the impacts be slow?
Otopharynx Lithobates
Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef
Neo Omnicaeruleus Makobe
Pseudotropheus Polits
Aulonocara Firefish Ice
Lab Super Red Top Hongi
Ndumbi Super Red Top
Socolofi 'Snowflake'
Lab Caeruleus
Lab Chisumulae
Bristlenoses
Botia Striata/Kubotai
bradderz123
ADULT
ADULT

Postby Collbrum » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi Bradderz123, I had the same concerns, although mine only runs off the main tiles on my roof, don't think I'd be so keen for the bitumen run-off. Potentially there's always going to be bird muck, moss, insects etc but this doesn't seem to be affecting the fish after 5 months. It is only similar to what gets dropped into a lake in nature, just in a more concentrated environment. Can't be any worse than the ingredients added to tap water to make it 'safe' !! I'll keep monitoring but getting on 6 months now with only one fish loss which ain't bad.
Collbrum

Postby bradderz123 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:09 am

If the fish are coloured up, behaving great then one can only react to the proof :tu:
Otopharynx Lithobates
Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef
Neo Omnicaeruleus Makobe
Pseudotropheus Polits
Aulonocara Firefish Ice
Lab Super Red Top Hongi
Ndumbi Super Red Top
Socolofi 'Snowflake'
Lab Caeruleus
Lab Chisumulae
Bristlenoses
Botia Striata/Kubotai