Forum

AquaRank.com

Tank circulation

Stocking compatibility? Setting up tank and equipment?

Tank circulation

Postby StrettonPaul » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:09 pm

Hi All

Just planning a new Malawi setup based on a 5x2x2 ND Aquatics tank with sump (circa 500L after allowing for rocks/sand etc). Outlet will be via a weir with durso standpipes, and return via a single pipe as standard.

Can someone suggest what turnover rate I would need through the filter (which will likely contain Alfagrog) so I have an idea on what return pump will be required. Also, is it worth specifying a 2nd return pipe hole is drilled on this size tank?

Finally, will any further water circulation be required in a Malawi tank given the flow from the return pump?? I have a brand new Vortech MP10 Quietdrive and a 2nd nearly new one that was in my reef tank prior to selling the stock to move house - and cant decide whether I need to keep or sell them. :text-thankyoublue:
StrettonPaul
EGG
EGG

Re: Tank circulation

Postby Clare » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:10 pm

The better the turnover the better the filtration. With malawis, the more filtration the better. Dont have just alphagrog in there. Put some pads in there as the waters last port of call before back in the tank.

Alot of people have a wave maker bouncing of the class at some point in the tank to give extra movement. Malawi love moving water.
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Tank circulation

Postby StrettonPaul » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:07 am

Thanks Clare - that's great. I'll have a look at options then as the Vortech MP10's I have are not directional.
StrettonPaul
EGG
EGG

Return to Setting up help and advice.