Forum

AquaRank.com

Stocking advice

Stocking compatibility? Setting up tank and equipment?

Stocking advice

Postby mnm » Sun May 17, 2015 3:03 pm

Hi,

Looking for advice and tips please,

I am considering setting up an 520 litre African Cichlid tank. When it comes to stocking I am getting conflicting advice and looking to iron a few things out as-well as gain any tips for the aspects I haven't considered yet. I am new to Cichlid's but have success with tropical fish..

I have read ranging advice on how to stock a tank from buying & introducing ALL your fish in one go to one by one over a lengthy time period. I understand I should keep fish from each continent separately but have read conflicting advice on mixing the varieties located around the continent of choice. Am I correct in believing I can stock my tank with any African Cichlid, as long as my water parameters and environment suit all fish considered?

Am a also confused to how many fish I can comfortably keep in my tank. It's 5' x 2' x 2' = 520 litres and will eventually have 2 external filters running.

:text-thankyoublue:
mnm

Re: Stocking advice

Postby Clare » Tue May 19, 2015 9:45 pm

Give us a list of what you like the look of, then we can tell you if it would be ok together, you have alot of room to play there.

have a look at what we breed and see if there is anything you like ?

www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Stocking advice

Postby bradderz123 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:59 pm

My understanding (although whether the size of your tank changes things I don't know) has always been to stock all at once. From my experience this doesn't allow territories to be set up which will then be defended against - which would happen if you stock in drips and drabs.

I have changed certain fish here and there, most recently adding the Lithobates and Taiwan Reef, and it did upset the tank for a good 3 weeks whilst the Lwanda staked a claim on being 'top fish'. Prior to these additions a Firefish was the king (and accepted as such by the Lwanda) but he was one of the fish I changed. Make a change and new power struggles can occur.

I've seen tanks with cichlids from different regions - so whilst ideal conditions do suggest different water requirements fish can adapt clearly. However just because something can happen doesn't make it right. Personally I kept Malawis previously and had all out wars because LFSs gave me poor advice. This time round i found this forum and decided to put my faith in Tony and Clare - for over 3 years now I've had a compatible selection of fish so I've never regretted that decision and their choice of available fish is large.
As a point of interest I've not seen Lwandas in shops I've been to nor Red Top Ndumbis so you can also get fish that aren't imho run of the mill.
Otopharynx Lithobates
Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef
Neo Omnicaeruleus Makobe
Pseudotropheus Polits
Aulonocara Firefish Ice
Lab Super Red Top Hongi
Ndumbi Super Red Top
Socolofi 'Snowflake'
Lab Caeruleus
Lab Chisumulae
Bristlenoses
Botia Striata/Kubotai