Forum

AquaRank.com

sump advice

Stocking compatibility? Setting up tank and equipment?

sump advice

Postby AIR-S » Sat May 02, 2015 11:07 am

Hey everyone,

Got a new 6x2x2 around a month ago with a 3ft sump underneath and just after a little advice!

At the moment it has a fluval fx5 as the return pump, i would like to swap this and use a normal pump rather than a filter!

The fx5 is causing allot of micro bubbles after its been running for around 6 hours after its purged i think its because the fx5 is supposed to run as a syphon system to keep the water flow up but because the return is in the sump there is no syphon if that makes sense!

My question is how do i know what rating pump to get? I think the fluval fx5 is sposed to be around 2300 lph but obvisouly if my system can use more flow then i would like to do that! Just dont want to buy a pump thats too powerful and come accros problems!

My other question is what is the best way to set up my sump? Ive attached some pics of my current set up but im open to any advice or criticisms! Just want everything set up and running the best it can be!

any help will be hugely appreciated!

Thanks
Rich
AIR-S

Re: sump advice

Postby bradderz123 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:35 pm

No experience of sumps tbh - hopefully someone will reply who knows :tu:
Otopharynx Lithobates
Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef
Neo Omnicaeruleus Makobe
Pseudotropheus Polits
Aulonocara Firefish Ice
Lab Super Red Top Hongi
Ndumbi Super Red Top
Socolofi 'Snowflake'
Lab Caeruleus
Lab Chisumulae
Bristlenoses
Botia Striata/Kubotai
bradderz123
ADULT
ADULT

Re: sump advice

Postby Clare » Fri May 08, 2015 9:49 pm

I have never used a sump but I did look into it but it looked like too much trouble.

A pump rated 100-1300lph would suffice because you dont want the flow too fast as a sump is more biological and the slower the flow the better. The FX5 allowing will do mechanical and biological. The microbubbles will be because you are using it for what you are. It is not made for that, If you want a filer inline with the sump a fluval 305 would be a better option. The Fx5. make sure when you set it up that its just 8l of water in it before you open the valves.
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Return to Setting up help and advice.