Forum

AquaRank.com

Ironoxide in slate

Tell us a bit about your aquascaping here. From the natural rock to the plastic spongebob.

Ironoxide in slate

Postby chrislowe84 » Mon May 26, 2014 4:45 pm

Hello, what's the general consensus on iron oxide in slate?

I've never had a problem with it and heard lots of the different opinions over the years, but was searching for something on here and came across a post that said avoid but no explanation.

Cheers
chrislowe84
EGG
EGG

Re: Ironoxide in slate

Postby bradderz123 » Mon May 26, 2014 9:27 pm

If my memory serves me well then Iron Oxide is inert, and non toxic, and has no impact on your water chemistry - non a chemist though so maybe someone knows something different :think:
Otopharynx Lithobates
Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef
Neo Omnicaeruleus Makobe
Pseudotropheus Polits
Aulonocara Firefish Ice
Lab Super Red Top Hongi
Ndumbi Super Red Top
Socolofi 'Snowflake'
Lab Caeruleus
Lab Chisumulae
Bristlenoses
Botia Striata/Kubotai
bradderz123
ADULT
ADULT

Postby chrislowe84 » Mon May 26, 2014 9:33 pm

Thanks, I would have thought so with slate being non-porous too. But it just got me thinking and this seemed to be the best place to ask.
chrislowe84
EGG
EGG

Postby bradderz123 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:43 am

The biggest problem with decor I constantly have on my mind (but haven't actually looked enough into to solve or justify) is the issue of water displacement.

My tank holds a little over 180L - not as big as I would have liked but the biggest I could get the wife to agree to! - and my decor is made up of Juwel replica rocks. They are certainly not cheap but (imho) look real, will last 'forever' and don't displace more than a cup of water. I've tried to compensate for the size of my tank by having the maximum amount of water - I actually have 180L of water.

Compare that to much larger tanks that have lots of genuine rockwork and I wonder at what cost? Does a 250L tank with rockwork really have a lot more water in it than mine?

Appreciate its all a matter of taste - it just seems to me the advantage of a big tank is the amount of water you can have and the subsequent stocking levels.

I have 36 fish (9 of which are the 'clean up crew) - a big external (10 times ph turnover) and I do a 75% water change per week. Ammonia/nitrites are next to zero and I've now found a way to keep nitrates down to 35ppm by the time of my water change.

Seems to me that my stocking levels would have to diminish greatly if I used real rock.

In fairness I may have to thin them out a bit when they reach full maturity but I'll address that as the need arises.

Just thought it might be a point to raise a discussion?
Otopharynx Lithobates
Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef
Neo Omnicaeruleus Makobe
Pseudotropheus Polits
Aulonocara Firefish Ice
Lab Super Red Top Hongi
Ndumbi Super Red Top
Socolofi 'Snowflake'
Lab Caeruleus
Lab Chisumulae
Bristlenoses
Botia Striata/Kubotai
bradderz123
ADULT
ADULT

Postby Clare » Thu May 29, 2014 3:09 pm

I have also thought that about with smaller tanks.

Back to the subject of slate and the iron veins. I have spoken indirectly to a chemist over this years ago and they are fine if given a good clean. The veins can hold dirt that is all.

Back to the rocks v water. I had a RIO 300 with tons of rock and I mean tons. I took it all out once before I took any water out and it must have taken up 1/3 of my water.
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby chrislowe84 » Fri May 30, 2014 6:41 am

Thanks Clare, I thought that must be the case. I've jet washed and then used a steam jet so fairly confident they're clean enough. Will give them a go.

Cheers
chrislowe84
EGG
EGG

Return to Your tanks, aquascaping and decor