Forum

AquaRank.com

Egg Crate Question

Tell us a bit about your aquascaping here. From the natural rock to the plastic spongebob.

Egg Crate Question

Postby LoverRock » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:49 pm

Im looking to place some rather large rocks into my new tank.

I was thinking of placing some egg crate under the two large rocks only, leaving the rest of the tank with free moving substrate.
The reason for this is so I can place a fairly smooth rock (on one side) underneath my two large boulders, adding stability, and also to add extra height to my rocks. I only want to put the egg crate under these two rocks!

The egg crate is 12mm, with 18mm holes

So does anyone here use egg crate and have you had any problems with water flow / hydrogen sulphide? any ideas to avoid stagnation

Thanks.
LoverRock
FRY
FRY

Re: Egg Crate Question

Postby Ev0151 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:44 pm

The whole bottom of my tank is covered in egg crate under the sand and I've had no issues.

Some of the rocks in my tank lean against each other and the Mbuna like to dig around the the edges so I was worried the rocks could topple - it's never happened.

It's also disperses the weight of the rock.
Ev0151
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby LoverRock » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks Ev0151 - do you find that waste accumulates in the grid anymore than you would normally find in the gravel?

Obviously this is not an issue ATM because my rocks are on the glass. I like to clean the gravel regularly to keep nitrate down, so the large rocks on the crate will have to be moved often if this is an issue!
LoverRock
FRY
FRY

Postby Ev0151 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:04 pm

Should be ok as long as you don't over do the amount of gravel you put in.
Ev0151
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby Clare » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:09 pm

I have never used egg crate and I have never had problems.

Sometimes adding eggcrate can be a bad thing as it can aid in the build up of compacted sand. This therefore harbours bad bacteria.
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Return to Your tanks, aquascaping and decor