Forum

AquaRank.com

"SALT " Please read

Any Announcments about the forum will be made in here.

Re: "SALT " Please read

Postby Clare » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:42 pm

I have used both epsom/bi-carb mix to buffer water and also the seachem malawi salts. The real thing worked better for me as it was quicker and easier although most costly. I do not use any now, I only used them when I had 98% wild Malawi. The fish most hobbyist keep have been bred and reared in non salted tanks so why add it?

I have never and would never use table/food salts in my tank. There are plenty of articles on the net which say this is safe but they are also written by hobbyists who have not had problems, although I have known plenty who have when there has been too much added. There has been no studies to say table/food salts are safe in the long run so really should be avoided.
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Larry Johnson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:13 pm

Lake Malawi Ph varies from 8.3-8.5 and this depends on where water is collected,,,at shore or out in the lake. (,,,waves breaking on shore release carbon dioxide so the Ph is higher) (pers com Stuart M Grant)
The conductivity of Lake Malawi runs around 250 micro siemens. (pers com Stuart M Grant)

Most Wild and locally bred fish will do fine in water from ph 7 and up and if you ARE in an area where you need to dose your water to bring up the Ph or condutivity up, then you have to be consistant in doing so!

Table salt should never be used, it has Iodine in it so we do not develop goider.(common knowledge in North America fish keeping)

Non-Iodized salt can be used periodically when fish are sick, or there is a probelm with water quality, such as high nitrite (No2). Salt aleviates the poisoning effects of the nitrite cycle. (DVM Kevin Johnson)

Cheers,Larry
Larry Johnson
EGG
EGG

Postby Grant » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:15 am

Thanks for your input larry.i just hope people take notice of the good advice been given out on this forum
Grant

Postby Rolthom » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks for the advice :tu:
Rolthom
EGG
EGG

Postby johnmill » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:51 pm

Great advice - thanks all. Can't believe that someone is suggesting table or sea salt - I know it's not far from the coast but the clue is surely in the name - Lake not Ocean/Sea.
johnmill
EGG
EGG

Postby Clare » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:21 pm

:laughing-lettersrofl: :laughing-lettersrofl: :clap: :tu:
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby michael24 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:54 pm

Can't help to bring up a old thread. But salt in a mbuna set up.....someone is clearly barking mad. Or hasn't got a clue. But I'll take salt and vinegar on my fish and chips any day. :doh:
michael24
EGG
EGG

Previous

Return to Announcements