Forum

AquaRank.com

Fish house IDEA......

Tell us about your DIY projects, fish houses, backgrounds etc.

Fish house IDEA......

Postby benduff » Sun May 27, 2012 8:55 am

Hello every one i am looking for some advice on how you would go about setting up a fish house for breeding a few species.

The reson behind my idea is that we are changing the garden around and i want to get my shed in now while i still have the chance.
Im not planning on setting this up tomorrow but i still want to put some ideas in place so i can plan how things will work and if any of you have ever done this before what is the best way to go about things so i can still have all the tanks i want but with the lowest maintance as possible IE water changes and filtration and heating.

My shed size is going to be a 14x8 so i was hoping for:

3x 6ft x 2f x 15" down the back wall
4x 36" x 2ft x 15" down the 2 side walls

And maybe 2 large 8f x 2f x 15" tanks on the bottom rows down the long sides of the shed.

What do you think????

I am open to and ideas and critisisum.
benduff
EGG
EGG

Re: Fish house IDEA......

Postby Scott » Sun May 27, 2012 2:00 pm

All I can say is go for it.
I love my shed.
As everyone will tell you insulation is key.
Make sure your drainage is good and you have a water supply nearby.
I bought a large piston pump from APS and all my tanks are under gravel filtered.

Good luck.
Scott
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby benduff » Sun May 27, 2012 2:27 pm

How many litres and hour dose your pump do and how many tanks do you have mate?

Do you run all of your tanks separate or do you have them all flowwing into one another?

I dont really want a heater in each tank as it will cost a small fortune.

How thick would you reccomend going with the insulation?

Sorry for all the questions but when i do this i want to do it right first time if i can.
benduff
EGG
EGG

Postby Scott » Sun May 27, 2012 3:16 pm

The air pump does 150 litres per minute and was £49 from APS.
I have 20 air lines running off it at the moment and the flow is great.
I thought about all running into 1 sump tank but then you have to worry about getting the tanks drilled and then if you get an illness it can be transferred to all of your stock.
Scott
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby benduff » Sun May 27, 2012 4:45 pm

I know it can spread the diease around the whole house but it would of been great for easy maintance and it gives the fish 20x more water in theory and i dont want to be running 20 heaters as its just not cost effective realy.

I will be buying all the tanks from brand new and having them all made by one firm to fit the shed so drilling and making wiers and sumps is not a problem.

Like i said i only want to set this up once and when i do i want to do it right so if you have any thing that you may have done wrong first time around and would change now please tell me as this is going to my project over the next few months.

Thanks for the advice on the air pump as i was going to go with a koi pond one for about £500 that dose 200LPM.
How long have you had this pump of yours has it been value for money??
benduff
EGG
EGG

Postby lynner41 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm at same stage but converting my garage going to put a false wall in. Intend on using kingspan insolation covered by 1.5mm upvc sheeting for condensation. Plan to use sumps pond filtration and uv's heating will be done by oil filled rads on thermastat and heaters in sumps
lynner41
FRY
FRY

Return to DIY