Forum

AquaRank.com

Drilling glass

Tell us about your DIY projects, fish houses, backgrounds etc.

Drilling glass

Postby Steven mc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi guys,
I'm having night mares thinking about having to drill holes in 2 tanks in the next few days,
I've never done it before or even seen it done apart from youtube, I need to drill 4 holes in
2 tanks for externals to fit as the braces on the tanks go right around the edge.
Any advice in what to do and not to do?

Steven
Steven mc
FRY
FRY

Re: Drilling glass

Postby Clare » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:34 pm

I have seen and heard from the horses mouth what a gamble this is. Is there not a glass smith you can get to come round and do it for you?
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Graham » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:39 pm

It's a very scary thing to do for the first time. I've done it loads of times now, well 20 or 30 times, on small tanks for fry racks and £5 second hand tanks shops have been throwing out. 100% success rate so far but I've still never had the balls to drill a large expensive tank.

You need to keep it cool and the best way to do this is to trickel water over the surface you are cutting through - almost essential in fact. If drilling through the base just put a few millimetres of water in the bottom.

Because of this, always use a cordless drill. Water and electricity is not a good combination. Don't know how much of a kick you'ld get from an cordless drill, might not be pleasant but I'd think much less dangerous than plugging into the mains.

Don't try to start the cut without a guide. Best way is to cut a hole as a template in a piece of plywood, clamp (or tape) this firmly in place and use this as your guide.

Don't force things by pushing down on the drill - just let the weight of the drill do the work and for God's sake check it is not on a hammer setting. Use a slow speed if the drill has speed settings and a low torque if you have torque settings so it doesn't snatch if it jams.

Slow but sure is the key to success.

If you can lay your hands on a piece of old float glass to practise on it will do wonders for your confidence.

Finally, make sure you have some clean underwear on standby.
Graham
Graham
FRY
FRY

Postby Tony » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:45 pm

:text-goodpost: :text-goodpost: :tu:
Tony & Clare - UK's largest dedicated home breeders of Malawi Cichlids
http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk
Tony
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby Steven mc » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:21 am

Hi guys,
All tanks now drilled, it was easy I thought, It was a bit scary to start with
but it went smoothly, only had to do 4 holes

Steven
Steven mc
FRY
FRY

Postby Clare » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:09 am

Thats great. :tu:

Glad it went well.
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Return to DIY