Forum

AquaRank.com

diy 260 gallon plywood aquarium

Tell us about your DIY projects, fish houses, backgrounds etc.

diy 260 gallon plywood aquarium

Postby telmc » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:22 am

Hi all

Hoping to start my new project next week or at least start buying materials, the tank will be 72"x28"x30" made from exterior grade ply, tank will be sealed with 5 play rubberised pond paint and fiberglass matting on the seams, i am planning on having a pane on the right hand side of the tank as well as the front to stop it looking to much like an old telly, I want to get rid of my external filters and put a sump under, this will be fed by a calfo style weir which i am also making from ply and will be stuck inside the tank with wood glue before sealing the interior.

Look forward to your opinion's/ questions
telmc

Re: diy 260 gallon plywood aquarium

Postby Clare » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Looking forward to following your progress in your project. How will you be plumbing the sump in?
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby telmc » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:29 am

Looking forward to it too will be an interesting build

This will be my first attempt at a sump so there's bound to be mistakes, I have gone for a calfo style weir which will be made from plywood and glued internally prior to sealing the tank it will have three standpipes one full siphon one open channel and an emergency i am going to use 1" bulk heads and 1 1/4" standpipes for the return o was going to use a eheim 2062 universal pump due to their reliability as for the sump i was thinking of making from ply also but will probably go for glass.

I will update each stage as it progresses.
telmc

Postby Clare » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:01 pm

:tu: :clap:
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Afra » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:40 pm

Hi telmc thinking off doing a ply tank did u go ahead with it any photos.
Afra

Return to DIY