Forum

AquaRank.com

Maidenhead Aquatic's near Beverly, East York's

for reviews on your local fish stores

Maidenhead Aquatic's near Beverly, East York's

Postby Tony » Sat May 04, 2013 5:46 pm

We went to collect polly boxes today from a Shop in Hull, on our way we pass a garden centre that has a Maidenhead branch in it, We had a bit of time so I said to Clare "Do you fancy a nosey?" , so we called in on our way.

I have visited this branch around six times now since it opened some time ago, every time I have been the place was spotless and very presentable and all the fish were in good health.

There were a nice few "oddball" fish to choose as well as the normal run of the mill trop's , they has a very nice example Tigrinus cat in today around 10" , I think possibly the best one I have ever seen tbh, although the price was £200.00 , in Tigrinus term's this was a bargain to be had.

The African selection very much the same as the previous visits, very small and run of the mill , but healthy and I'm pleased to say ALL the cichlids were named by species and not a mixed Malawi tank in sight :tu:

Clare also spotted they have started stocking Unipac sand in the small and medium sized bag's , small £10 and Medium £17 per bag , Clare asked if they ever stocked the larger 25kg bag's and was told they could order it in and it would be around £25 per bag.

Now Boy's with toy's :wink: :text-lol:

I have always wanted an Electric blue Jack Dempsey, and today they had a few in around 3.5-4" and I spotted a nice looker, to save any disappointment I decided not to consult Clare whether we should get one or not, I bypass't that bit :wink: , and just asked the chap if I choose the particular fish I wanted should I want one, the reply was yes so over to the tank we went, on the way to the tank I thought Hmm I wonder if there any females in there too :text-lol:

Now to the frustrating and funny part, the guy catching the fish :hand: :hand: , he removed the wood from the front of the tank and the condensation trays from the top, doing this every JD was huddled in one corner, he then proceeded to stand right in front of the fish and asked me "which one would you like?" , I thought, Oh dear this is going to be fun, we have drawn a blunt knife out of the drawer here regarding the staff choice when I asked the initial question, So I said "that one please" , he said "which one?" , I said "get away from the front of the tank and then we may both have a chance to see which one".

When I pointed the fish out I wanted he got two net's put them in the tank and just stood there motionless, I thought he was weighing the fish up ready to catch it, how wrong was I ! , I think he was waiting for the dam thing to swim in !, there was a glass central strengthening bat on the tank and every time the fish swam to the other end he waited hoping they would return to the end he had the net's in ( They didn't :doh: ) , the net's he was using were too small for the size tank he was trying to catch out of anyway to start with imo.

Clare by this time had had to walk away a couple of times to remain cool :text-lol: , eventually he caught the fish I wanted :dance:

I then asked him if he caught another would it be possible if we could vent it to sex it as we wanted a female, I received a very vacant look from the chap, so I explained venting the fish was to tell which sex it was, he said "Oh right , I'm not familiar with that practice" , so I said " that's not a problem we can do that so long as you catch the fish" , there were some others JD's in another smaller tank and a couple looked possible females , so for ease (and time by this time) I said can we try these , thinking he would use the same size net's in a smaller tank and catch them easier, But OH NO , he went to the counter and returned with two net's the size of a feckin postage stamp !!, OH my day's :pray: :pray: , anyway he caught one of the fish eventually and Clare went to vent the fish only to be stopped and told to wet her hand's first :whistle: , her hand's were wet as soon as she touched the net :doh: :doh: , so to cut a long story short , after three fish Clare was 75% confident that the 3rd fish was a female so we went with that one.

The price of the JD's was also good for the size of them too @ £25.00 each, I saw them on an import list last year @ 3-4cm that would have cost £18 each to our front door, so I was more than happy with the price :tu:

So back to the feedback/review of this store, How would I rate the store out of 10, I would give it a 10 out of 10 for the store it's self and fish choice, prices and health,

After seeing the member of staff catching the fish I didn't even bother asking a question to see what the stores knowledge and advice was like, so I can't comment on this side of thing's.

Is the store worth a visit ? , Yes without a doubt even if only to have a walk around and see the product's and oddball fish :tu:
Tony & Clare - UK's largest dedicated home breeders of Malawi Cichlids
http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk
Tony
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Re: Maidenhead Aquatic's near Beverly, East York's

Postby damba » Sat May 04, 2013 7:07 pm

Sounds trying. Was the female a normal ebjd or was it a blue gene jd? Ebjd to ejbd seem to produce sterile or very weak fry. Mating to a normal female normally produced grne carrying young who then produce ebjds mating to an eb gene carrier produces a mix.
Good luck as these are a gorgeous freak.
Tom

I live in Eastbourne - the sunniest place in Britain. That isn't really saying much...
twitter @pevenseytom
Cymru am byth.

Pevensey the birthplace of modern England.
Don't watch your Petros too closely. Don't talk to them. Don't feed them bad things - it leads to bloat
damba
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Tony » Sun May 05, 2013 1:31 am

Hi Tom,

yeah I wastold a while ago that the best mating for them was to use a normal female, we didn't buy them to breed from tbh, just wanted a female for company for him.Now all the refurb's are done I have a couple of tanks I can use for some toys again :tu:

I have some cot's coming at the end of the week as well , Megalodoras irwini and Auchenoglanis occidentalis :wink: :tu:

I still really miss my Channa Micropeltes :td: :violin: , One day when we had a tank big enough that I can make secure for one I will have another :tu:
Tony
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby damba » Sun May 05, 2013 8:41 am

I love my giraffe cat :smile:
How are the royal flower loaches doing??

I live in Eastbourne - the sunniest place in Britain. That isn't really saying much...
twitter @pevenseytom
Cymru am byth.

Don't watch your Petros too closely. Don't talk to them. Don't feed them bad things - it leads to bloat
damba
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby damba » Sun May 05, 2013 8:42 am

twitter @pevenseytom
Cymru am byth.

damba
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Tony » Sun May 05, 2013 10:00 am

damba wrote:I love my giraffe cat :smile:
How are the royal flower loaches doing??

Yeah , love them too had a few over the years.

The royal loaches are doing ok , I think ? :text-lol: , I have seen them twice now, once in the bag when I got them and the 2nd time when we stripped the tank to harvest it of the Peacocks and Hap's :wink: :text-lol:

Forgot t mention the other new toy's coming next week, The tank we use for the egg tumblers is now no good as a fry tank as the fry food can sometimes clog the net gauze and slow the flow down, so I can put some little interesting pet's in that tank too , so I opted for some of these never had them before :tu:

Tony
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby Steve H » Sun May 05, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi Tony, before i got my big tank to keep malawi's i had 2 other tanks one had an EBJD and the other had 8 puffer fish in all from maidenhead in beverley and I gave them away for free to make way for the bigger tank, shame i didnt no you then!!!
Steve H
EGG
EGG

Postby Steve H » Sun May 05, 2013 6:11 pm

There is a site called uk monster predatory fish, if you look on there, there is a picture of a electric pink jack dempsey and it looks stunning. Wouldn't mind getting one myself???
Steve H
EGG
EGG

Postby Tony » Sun May 05, 2013 7:23 pm

Steve H wrote:shame i didnt no you then!!!

:td: :td: :td: , sure is
Tony
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby mzplcg » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:22 am

Just to echo the sentiment of the first post, I find some good things in Maidenhead Aquatics generally. They have succeeded in de-bunking a lot of myths about the hobby generally by standardising a product range and making them accessible to ordinary folks.

Certainly from our local club there is a general feeling that they are having a positive influence on the image of the hobby and that they are raising the bar of competition with other LFS outlets. That has to be a good thing. Has anyone noticed how much more reasonably priced certain items have become since MA have been on the scene? I only use their Aquamanta filters now (re-badged Aqua One) since they are half the cost and just as good as certain others. That's just one example.

My only issue with MA as a company is that head office don't impose any restrictions on what (and how) each store does with livestock. My local shop has a large Malawi community tank which they tell me is for display only, but the facts are the occupants are breeding like rabbits and there will be hybrids amongst them. Sooner or later those hybrids will get sold.

Anyway, I do like the company for the main part. :tu:

Dom
mzplcg
EGG
EGG

Return to LFS & Online retailers.