Forum

AquaRank.com

internal or external?

for all your product, food, and so on reviews

internal or external?

Postby andywroe » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:00 pm

Looking to replace my 2 x internal juwel jumbo filters in my rio 400 with a eheim externalwould this be a good idea if so which one should i be looking at?

Also is it harder to run or set up etc, and how long should you change the media as the juwel media is costing me a small fortune to replace 2 times the sponges.

Also any other tips on the external filter would be great i.e does it just sit in the cabinet etc?

Thanks Andy
HULL CITY BEST TEAM IN YORKSHIRE
andywroe

Re: internal or external?

Postby daveyboy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:37 pm

i have always remove the internal filters from jewel tanks it give the fish loads more room probebly the best external you could buy would be a fluval fx5 filter they are easy to run and maintain and yes they sit in the cabinet under the tank and then have pipe that go into your tank from the rear one pipe to take the water out the tank to run through the filter and one return pipe to return the filtered water back into the tank.
they are fairly expensive but worth every penny :handgestures-thumbup:
daveyboy
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby mik1138 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Changing the sponges is a mugs game, these things last for years, just ive them a rinse in tank water every couple of weeks
NEVER EAT YELLOW SNOW
mik1138
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Jimbo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:48 pm

If you dont mind using gravel, use undergravel filters.
That is what I have in my rio 400. I removed the internal jumbo filter, and now run undergravels and a fluval 405. masses of media, great flitration and crystal clear water. Tank is currently home to about 150 juvie aulonocara about 1.5 inches.

I used the juwel powerheads for the uplifts.
Jimbo

Postby daveyboy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:07 pm

jimbo is right on the undergravel filters they are actually in my popinion the best form of filteration but as he also says it all depends on wether or not you like gravel :handgestures-thumbup:
daveyboy
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby The Codfather » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:41 am

I am an external filter fan......but if I had the room sump would be my first choice as if its big enough and setup\designed correct you can hold fish in it.
The Codfather
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Adie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:26 pm

External's for me they have much more media area over internal filters, however internals do have some advantages over externals especially the juwel filters as these are able to skim the waters surface removing the dusting that happens externals dont do this.

I would remove one juwel filter and replace with an external and keep the other juwel in place or even plumb the pipe work from the external into the juwel filter housing using it as a pre-filter and helping hide some of the pipe work.
Adie
ADULT
ADULT

Postby andywroe » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:19 pm

ok i went out at the weekend and bought the eheim pro II edition very very very cheap :shhh:
Any tips on fitting it going to fit it tomor night, are the easy enough to fit?

What about cycling the filter against the old ones or can i just remove the old ones and replace it with the external?

Thanks Andy.
andywroe

Postby Jimbo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:42 pm

I would squeeze the sponges from one of the internals into the media in the eheim. and then run the eheim along with the internals for a couple of weeks, before removing one of the internals.
Jimbo

Postby andywroe » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:02 pm

Ok thank you for your help i will still run one filter against my external, right here goes fitting it :text-lol:
andywroe

Return to Product