Forum

AquaRank.com

Mbuna Tank

Here you can talk about all Malawi cichlids.

Mbuna Tank

Postby Irishblue16 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:08 pm

I keep getting mixed opinions on this.

are Clown Loaches suitable for the Mbuna tank?
Irishblue16
EGG
EGG

Re: Mbuna Tank

Postby dez_newman » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:00 pm

Irishblue16 wrote:I keep getting mixed opinions on this.

are Clown Loaches suitable for the Mbuna tank?

When I had my first Malawi tank I had a mix, including Mbuna with 3 Clown loaches in. I added the small Loaches when all my Malawi's were fully grown one large Hap had a go but was stabbed by the loaches spine and nothing went near them again.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
dez_newman
FRY
FRY

Postby bradderz123 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:10 pm

Many people have the clown loaches in their Malawi tank. I prefer other botia which also do great. Don't forget how big clowns can get and, imo, they aren't so attractive as they get older.
Otopharynx Lithobates
Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef
Neo Omnicaeruleus Makobe
Pseudotropheus Polits
Aulonocara Firefish Ice
Lab Super Red Top Hongi
Ndumbi Super Red Top
Socolofi 'Snowflake'
Lab Caeruleus
Lab Chisumulae
Bristlenoses
Botia Striata/Kubotai
bradderz123
ADULT
ADULT

Postby dez_newman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:40 am

That is true Bradderz their colours do fade the older/bigger they get. I think I like them more because of their character.
Lol

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
dez_newman
FRY
FRY

Postby Irishblue16 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:19 pm

Excellent lads cheers
Irishblue16
EGG
EGG

Postby bradderz123 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:05 pm

By coincidence was reading this:

The most familiar (and misunderstood) of the botia loaches is the clown loach, Chromobotia macracanthus. This is a beautiful fish, with a light orange body coloration, bright red fins, and black stripes. These black stripes are highly variable, and depending on the origin of fish, may even differ among individual specimens.
While most of these fish were once wild-collected, they are now spawned using hormone treatments in both Southeast Asia and Eastern Europe. They come onto the market at about 2 inches (5 cm) or less, and are often suggested as an excellent community tank fish. Unfortunately, they are virtually impossible for the average aquarist to breed.
Many aquarists make two serious mistakes when keeping clown loaches. The first is not taking into into account that clown loaches are shoaling fish that need to be kept in a rather large group to be happy. Because they’re still fairly expensive, few aquarists are willing to spend the money it takes to buy a group of 10 or more of them.
The second mistake is in underestimating their adult size. There is a lot of literature out there suggesting that the maximum size of C. macracanthus is about 6 inches (15 cm). However, a healthy adult can reach nearly a foot (30 cm) in length, with about 8 to 10 inches (20 to 25 cm) being the average aquarium size. These are boisterous, active fish that need space to succeed.
Clown loaches thrive best in soft, acidic water, and at a temperature of 76° to 85°F (24° to 29°C), higher than most of us keep our aquariums. They are very susceptible to ich and other protozoan diseases, especially at lower temperatures. Loaches lack scales, and many of our common ich medicines (particularly those containing malachite green) are quite toxic to them.
Otopharynx Lithobates
Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef
Neo Omnicaeruleus Makobe
Pseudotropheus Polits
Aulonocara Firefish Ice
Lab Super Red Top Hongi
Ndumbi Super Red Top
Socolofi 'Snowflake'
Lab Caeruleus
Lab Chisumulae
Bristlenoses
Botia Striata/Kubotai