Forum

AquaRank.com

Good morning - Maingano Chaos

Here you can talk about all Malawi cichlids.

Good morning - Maingano Chaos

Postby mr2jay » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:58 am

Hi All,

Long time lurker, not posted for a while. I could do with a little help though.

I made the cardinal mistake and bought some fish from a LFS - yes, I know, big mistake. I bought all 4 juvenile Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (Maingano) they had there....

Turns out it was 3 males and 1 female - BAD ratio :td:

So the dominant male has killed off the other 2 males so I am left with 1 male and 1 female. As you can well imagine, she is getting a seriously hard time in there, being forced up behind the filter intake most of the time. It is actually so violent, he is forcing her out of the water sometimes.

So I had a chat with Tony yesterday and he suggested that it was completely out of character for this breed and it was entirely possible that they were hybrids. Looking at him though, I'm not so sure but I would like to be certain before beginning the arduous task of trying to find 3 more females for my tank. These aren't that common and with the males and females being similar in appearance (females are lighter with a silvery underside unlike the Male that is darker with a black belly but sub dominant males can look VERY similar to the females)

So can I have your opinions please? Does he look like a hybrid or is he just the equivalent to a Stella Artios Football Hooligan?

[img=400x200]http://i.imgur.com/lWUAS4g.jpg[/img]

Thanks
mr2jay
EGG
EGG

Re: Good morning - Maingano Chaos

Postby mr2jay » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:08 am

Got the pic to work so you can see it
mr2jay
EGG
EGG

Postby bradderz123 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:41 pm

Either a rogue or a hybrid as described as 'mildly aggressive' - if a rogue you might just be adding next weeks fodder and if a hybrid...

I'd cut your losses.
Otopharynx Lithobates
Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef
Neo Omnicaeruleus Makobe
Pseudotropheus Polits
Aulonocara Firefish Ice
Lab Super Red Top Hongi
Ndumbi Super Red Top
Socolofi 'Snowflake'
Lab Caeruleus
Lab Chisumulae
Bristlenoses
Botia Striata/Kubotai
bradderz123
ADULT
ADULT

Postby Clare » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:18 pm

Looks true maingano to me. If you have a low stocked tank even a yellow lab can kill of other things.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Return to Malawi