Hi from the returning

Here you can talk about all Malawi cichlids.

Hi from the returning

Postby dez_newman » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:45 pm

Hi all
I haven't been on here for a very long time, House move and new job forced the sale of my beloved Malawi tank. After a year without a tank I gave in and tried to do the salty thing, I got a small tank 120ltr and started a reef tank after 8 months I decided that I wanted a bigger tank and upgraded to a JUWEL 240 tank with Marine upgrades. In the last 4 weeks I have lost all my stock to Marine Iche (Whitespot), which has cost me around £250 in fish alone. I have decided that I am going back to what I know best but I need some advise.
1. Can I use the built in Juwel filter with new filter media added. (I also have phosphate remover)
2. Can I still use the powerheads.
3. Can I use the substrate (Caribbean Live sand).
4. What can I do with the live rock about 30 kilo.

Thanks for any advice

:tu: :text-thankyoublue:

Re: Hi from the returning

Postby gavinh87 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi dez, sorry to hear you lost your fish. I have been through the marine phase too it was quite expensive and time consuming which is why I went with malawi.

You can still use the internal filter although i would recommend adding an external filter either adding to the juwel or replacing.
Powerheads are fine, I'm using x2 jebao rw-8 on my vision 450.
I'm not sure on the substrate unless you can remove every trace of salt from it.
The rock I would try to sell it and buy something better looking (my opinion of course)
Or you could kill it (google how to kill live rock) and use it as ocean rock as a lot of malawi keepers do.

Re: Hi from the returning

Postby bradderz123 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:33 pm

I thoroughly washed the sand and reused it when I changed with no ill effects :tu:

I'm sure you will recall the amount of filtering required for a heavily stocked Malawi tank so whilst you can use with new media I agree you'll need to add to it.
Otopharynx Lithobates
Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef
Neo Omnicaeruleus Makobe
Pseudotropheus Polits
Aulonocara Firefish Ice
Lab Super Red Top Hongi
Ndumbi Super Red Top
Socolofi 'Snowflake'
Lab Caeruleus
Lab Chisumulae
Botia Striata/Kubotai

Return to Malawi