Forum

AquaRank.com

Odd striped Malawi

Here you can talk about all Malawi cichlids.

Odd striped Malawi

Postby ianpallen2 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:34 am

I have a baby Malawi. Dont know what type yet, but hope I do when they are older. One in particular is completely different from the others. All my fish have the same markings on both sides of their body, except one. Normally, when you see a fish, it is symetrical and when viewed from above, the markings (lines) meet up at the dorsal fin on Malawi's. This fish has different patterns on its sides. Its left side is like a normal striped Malawi, but its right side has a different pattern to the striped. Left side, all striped are from top to bottom (up and down), on the right side, some stripes have points and are down and some are up, not reaching from top to bottom. If looking from the top, the stripes dont meet at the dorsal fin.
Is this unusual in fish markings. Thanks.
ianpallen2
EGG
EGG

Re: Odd striped Malawi

Postby Clare » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:48 pm

Hi. It's quite common in fish for this to haopen. It's just miss barred. It happens in all types of barred fish. Some in the hobby see it as a flaw and want a perfectly barred fish. Others like miss barred for theirs unique look.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Return to Malawi