Forum

AquaRank.com

Peacock Cichlids

Here you can talk about all Malawi cichlids.

Peacock Cichlids

Postby karl2005united » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:28 pm

Hi all I have kept fish in various forms for 20 years over the last 5 years mainly cichlids. I am restocking my 600 litre tank with peacock and haps and my question is as ollows: I am keeping all male aulonocaras. I am also stocking the odd hap, in particular lethinthrops kande island, Would I be able to keep all male aulonocaras with a breeding group of lethinthrop kande island? I know they would exist fine but would the 2 different species breed, creating hybrids? Many thanks on all the help forthcoming regards karl
karl2005united
EGG
EGG

Re: Peacock Cichlids

Postby Tony » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:27 am

Hi Karl,

yes a strong possibility they would, all Leths are is an aulonocara without the sonar in their head so to speak , the dominant male would get his way with the females :tu:
Tony & Clare - UK's largest dedicated home breeders of Malawi Cichlids
http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk
Tony
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby karl2005united » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks Tony, gutted now lol. I am torn between getting a species only tank but there is simply too many gorgeous peacocks out there I cant just have 1 or 2 males with 6 or 7 drab females (sorry female lovers) been keeping Frontosas for 2 years and just wanted a change, successfully bred them, but with Frontosas the females are identical (almost) to the males. Is there any hap that I could keep with male only peacocks where I can have a breeding group without the risk of cross breeding, or should I just be happy with the beautiful coloured male peacocks? Thanks again Tony and anyone else in anticipation regards Karl
karl2005united
EGG
EGG

Postby Clare » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:12 am

Not really no as any female presence will cause males with none of their own females to want any female.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Return to Malawi