Cichlids of Africa volume 1 - Haplochromines

Here you can talk about all Victorian Cichlids.

Cichlids of Africa volume 1 - Haplochromines

Postby Paul B » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:56 pm

I received my new book today not really knowing what to expect. A plain black cover with a well known picture of Xystichromis phytophagus aka Christmas Fulu. ... nes-sm.jpg
With credits going to Greg Steeves, Dave Hansen and Anton Lamboj this is basically an account of fish from the victorian basin found in the American hobby over the last 10 years.

At first glance i thought i was going to be reading the old articles on cichlid companion but i was wrong, although the illustrated pictures are poor the information is very good. It gives enough information on species criteria where Seahausens book over loads you with this sort of stuff it gives the aquarist personnel examples of how and what to keep the fish with.
Many of the fish are alien to our hobby at this present time, but i know over half these species are available across Europe and in time would make a very good reference guide. It covers many West African cichlids such as Astatotilapia calliptera, desfontainii, burtoni and Thoracochromis brauschi all of which i have an avid interest in.
This being volume 1 i look forward to the next chapter.There are too few books on the fishes from the victorian basin and with this book second only to Seahausens Lake Victoria rock cichlids this is a must for anyone's book collection.

Granda publication ISBN 3-85374-399-4

Paul :handgestures-thumbup:
Last edited by Paul B on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
Paul B

Re: Cichlids of Africa volume 1 - Haplochromines

Postby cichlid crazy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:14 am

Good to know thanks :handgestures-thumbup:
cichlid crazy

Return to Victoria