Forum

AquaRank.com

Sp44

Here you can talk about all Victorian Cichlids.

Sp44

Postby Adie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:16 pm

I bought a young 2" pair of these about a month ago the male caught my eye as he is quite striking, This is the first Vics I have kept before well the female used to chase the male all over the tank (she is female was holding when I brought them home.) this was a bit weird to see to me having not kept vics before, after about a week the female left the male alone and started to attack my Haps she tore loads of fins off really quite bad.

I have struggled with time recently as work has gone manic so it was a week before I could strip the tank and catch her I took her out and put her in a tank with 20 of the last dragons blood Juvies I have I have come home tonight to find every one dead some are torn up some are not and she looks well happy with herself.
Adie
ADULT
ADULT

Re: Sp44

Postby Tony » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:19 pm

very strange adie,my females always try to stay out of the way when holding,and just swim ok with all the other tank mates when not holding
Tony & Clare - UK's largest dedicated home breeders of Malawi Cichlids
http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk
Tony
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby arron » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:59 pm

gutted for you mate :handgestures-thumbdown:

i have a trio of these and none of them bother anything else in the tank ( inc v small juvs )
sounds like you have a bad un :doh:
arron
EGG
EGG

Postby Paul B » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:46 pm

there are lots of hybrids being traded as sp.44, a pic may show its identity.

although females can take on a domineering role it is unusual for one to be so destructive, very strange !
Image Image Image Image
Paul B
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Adie » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:29 am

alanastar wrote:there are lots of hybrids being traded as sp.44, a pic may show its identity.

although females can take on a domineering role it is unusual for one to be so destructive, very strange !

They did come from a local maiden head one of the lads there brought them in from his own tank, the female was evil in my main tank she would follow my tiawan reef round and bite at there anal and dorsal fins. I,ll post a pic up when I can.
Adie
ADULT
ADULT

Postby cbryan1976 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:11 am

That sounds absolutely nothing like my female sp.44... really surprised at her behaviour..
cbryan1976
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby cichlid crazy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:38 pm

Wow Adie shame this is happening but sounds like you have a Phsycho mom ..............I know that certain females will attack anything they think is a threat to their young so maybe this is what triggered her off, that and being moved a few times has likely sent her over the edge a tad hope thing settle down for you though :handgestures-thumbup:
cichlid crazy

Postby Frazfisher » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:38 am

Typical woman eh !
Frazfisher

Return to Victoria