Forum

AquaRank.com

3ft for Pundamilia Nyererei

Here you can talk about all Victorian Cichlids.

3ft for Pundamilia Nyererei

Postby Skunk » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:31 am

I've just acquired a 4ftx18"x15" tank, around 220L. I did some work experience at Hull Uni and fell in love with Pundamilia Nyererei. Therefore, I'd like to use this tank as an African Rift Lake Cichlid Tank.

I'm very new to cichlids, I know that they're mouthbrooders, about stripping, liking high ph and temp, and levels of aggression, but that's about it.

I'm looking to partition the tank, 1ft to be used for bringing up apple snails as I have a few batches from my other tanks, but it's certainly possible that I can get another tank to do this in.

Would 3ft be ok as a cichlid tank?

What types of rock should I use to build up the back of the tank, type of sand (my ph is around 8.5 as it is), tank mates, ease of breeding, and any additional advice.

I've been reading care sheets, and other threads, but it's good to cover all bases :P

Thanks a lot :)
Skunk
EGG
EGG

Re: 3ft for Pundamilia Nyererei

Postby daveyboy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:23 am

hi lexxi
3ft isent really big enough for rift lake cichlids its great as a growing on tank idealy you need at least 4ft for sutch as mbuna and 5ft for the smaller haps and aulonocara and 6ft and above for the large preditors :handgestures-thumbup:
daveyboy
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby Jimbo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:24 am

As Davey says 4 foot and above.
The reason for this is aggression.
Even in a species only tanks the females and sub dom males need room to get out of what the dominant male regards as his territory.
Jimbo

Postby Skunk » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:23 am

:) Right ok, 4ft would be do able :) Need to get some more cheap tanks from my lfs, ha!
Skunk
EGG
EGG

Postby vicky » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:38 pm

try your local friday ad or flea bay :handgestures-thumbup: bargins are around, just picked up 3 tanks for £1.20
vicky
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby mik1138 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:07 pm

:text-welcomewave:
NEVER EAT YELLOW SNOW
mik1138
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby kelly » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:37 pm

We never get bargins like that over here :handgestures-thumbup:
kelly
ADULT
ADULT

Postby Skunk » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:33 am

vicky wrote:try your local friday ad or flea bay :handgestures-thumbup: bargins are around, just picked up 3 tanks for £1.20

Wow! That's great! I do keep checking e-bay, gum tree, local classifieds, etc.

My lfs does me good deals, throws in bogwood, second hand filters etc.

Put up the frame today, and the shelving. It has three shelves, so hamster on the top, 4ft tank in the middle, and on the bottom will be my axolotls, and 2 other tanks for fry and apple snails. Freeing up the whole of the 4ft for cichlids:)

Having a bit of a crisis atm with a sick black moor, eugh >_>

Cleaning out 4ft tomorrow, gonna start looking at sand, rocks and other decor.

What sand and rocks should I be looking at? Also, it doesn't have a lid, and I know some cichlids are known to jump. How do I go about lighting?

Thanks!
Skunk
EGG
EGG

Postby cichlid crazy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:08 pm

A 4ft is the smallest size you'd get away with keeping Nyererei in as they can have personal space issues, some males like a large territory and can often keep 3 ft of tank space empty and have the rest of the fish in the other foot of tank................ show off tarts that they are. :handgestures-thumbup:
Other males will only do this when trying to breed, luckily, but the odd 1 will be a complete git and will need to be kept in with fish that are either bigger than him or in large numbers so to spread the aggression.
Best sized Pundamillia for a smaller tank is the Python Island varient as they are smaller when fully grown than the others. :handgestures-thumbup:

Sand and rocks are down to personal choice as you are the one thats got to look at it, imho coral sand looks good and we use a mix of coral and play sand in our tanks as we have lots of tanks, have a look around the photos on the forum to see the different varieties of rock that can be used.

As for a lid try using some perspex sheeting as cover glass to stop fish thinking they can fly, then again its up to you what else you do, same with the lighting, there's threads on here with LED's and Halides etc so have a read and see what you like best. :handgestures-thumbup:
cichlid crazy

Postby Paul B » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:25 pm

not forgetting if the nyererei is the makobe strain these can reach in excess of 5 inches and have the attitude to go with it, but you can be assured they will not live to reach this size in a 3 ft'r.

the P sp."red heads" are pussy cats in comparison and may get away with it if you chose tank mates carefully but would eventually require a bigger tank long term
Image Image Image Image
Paul B
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Next

Return to Victoria