Forum

AquaRank.com

Astatotilapia yellow belly

Here you can talk about all Victorian Cichlids.

Astatotilapia yellow belly

Postby dave65 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:04 pm

Just seen some of these in my LFS,dont know much about them but they did look nice. Only thing that put me off was the amount of colour they had for a 2" fish. Is this right? any info appreciated
dave65
EGG
EGG

Re: Astatotilapia yellow belly

Postby Paul B » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:27 am

Hi Dave65,

I just saw my first Astatotilapia aeneocolor the other day at a friends. Buying from a shop you have no idea how old the fish are but yes can show good colour at this size if they are not being dominated by other fish.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... VNjrWK0l0=

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... eGEttYBow=

Sometimes see these called yellow belly Albert as they come from the Lakes Albert ,George and Edward.
To be mixed with caution :handgestures-thumbup:
Image Image Image Image
Paul B
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby dave65 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:49 am

Thanks Alanastar
They were in with some small tetras so they were the dominant fish, is the mixing bit with regerd to cross breeding or agression ?

Thanks
Dave
dave65
EGG
EGG

Postby cichlid crazy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:04 pm

dave65 wrote:is the mixing bit with regerd to cross breeding or agression ?

Thanks
Dave

Be a bit of both, Vics (even though these are more from other lakes) can be very agressive to their own or similar species, others can get on fine, there are so many types out there that have been mixed in and interbred that finding the real deal is getting harder and harder as is finding the fish in the wild.
Do the fish in the shop look like the photos in the above links? if they do then these could be a real nice find and if they ain't too much you should get as many as you can as finding females to breed them will be nigh on impossible imho :handgestures-thumbup:
cichlid crazy

Postby dave65 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:35 pm

"Be a bit of both, Vics (even though these are more from other lakes) can be very agressive to their own or similar species, others can get on fine, there are so many types out there that have been mixed in and interbred that finding the real deal is getting harder and harder as is finding the fish in the wild"

Not too bothered about the agression, i will put them in with similar sized mbuna. Its whether they are pure bred that bothers me , dont want to spend ages growing them on and breeding them to find they are hybrids. The males do look very much like the pics and the females look to have the right body shape compared to the males . Not kept any vics before and im very tempted to give these a try.
dave65
EGG
EGG

Postby Paul B » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:09 pm

If they are at a reasonable price give them a go, if they are good examples i may be able to acquire some unrelated fish for you some time in the future.

I have come to the conclusion that Melanochromis, Pseudotropheus/Metriaclima should be avoided with vics, sure will seem fine when young but will be a different story when they all grow up. Of course there are exceptions to this like Acei and Salousi which have both proven to be good companions, also the size of the tank will make a difference with bigger being better.
Image Image Image Image
Paul B
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby dave65 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:20 pm

they are only £5 each so i think ill try a male and 3 females see how they go. ive got a 3 foot with some small yellow labs in , they can go in with those till they settle. Any thoughts on water conditions ?
dave65
EGG
EGG

Postby Paul B » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:42 pm

As with most of the fish from the victorian basin water conditions are not too critical, they can handle a wide range of conditions as long as the water you keep them in is stable and not being adjusted all the time, water management is more important.

we look forward to the pics :handgestures-thumbup:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/a_aneocolor.php
Image Image Image Image
Paul B
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby dave65 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:52 pm

good article :handgestures-thumbup: pics arnt my strong point but i'll see what i can do once they are settled
dave65
EGG
EGG

Postby dave65 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:15 pm

Decided on a trio,had them a few weeks now and just got my first batch of 7 fry from the smallest female.
dave65
EGG
EGG

Next

Return to Victoria