Forum

AquaRank.com

Haplochromis thereuterion advice?

Here you can talk about all Victorian Cichlids.

Haplochromis thereuterion advice?

Postby Duds1000 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:10 pm

Hi picked up some Haplochromis thereuterion yesterday, has anybody any advice on them?
thanks
Graham
Duds1000
EGG
EGG

Re: Haplochromis thereuterion advice?

Postby Paul B » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:18 am

Hi Graham,

This was one species i brought back from the AFC meeting in Paris last year but sadly did not travel well.
Best kept in a moderately sized tank with room to swim, these live in open water and feed on Insects and plankton. In breeding dress are stunning.

I have Piceatus that have similar requirements and keep them with juvenile "rock kribensis" and Alluaudi.
I am thinking the open water sand dwellers from Malawi may be ok , i plan to keep Piceatus with Lethrinops and Mylochromis.

Avoid any Malawi Mbuna and Mbipi from Victoria.

Hope this helps
:handgestures-thumbup:
Image Image Image Image
Paul B
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Sally » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:42 am

Hi
I got a group of these a few weeks ago, I have mine currently in with Aulonocara and Othopharynx and a few other juvs. One is starting to go very dark, he is bigger than the other 3, so guessing a male. Don't seem bothered by anyone and no one is bothering them.
I am not sure what to make of them yet. Would be nice to see how yours progress too.
Sally

Postby Duds1000 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:34 am

Hi thanks for the advice :handgestures-thumbup: ,
I picked up 8 on Saturday and some others from a long, long trip from scotland they seem fine all be it a bit shy. Mind you they only came in from Germany last week and then all the way up here so im sure they will settle down. Had i very nice trip also picked up some Ptyochromis salmon, Cypichromis microlepidatus kasai, Chalinochromis sp. ndobhoi really looking forward to seeing how the thereuterion turn out!!! And its good to know Sally that you have to!!!
Duds1000
EGG
EGG

Postby Sally » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:42 pm

What are you going to put them in with?
I have a large group of Ptyochromis salmon from 3 diferent sources now and awaiting the shaky shaky days to come..............had some of them for about 5 months now, but keep moving them to different tanks as the group gets bigger, so not had time to settle.
Looks like you got a lot of nice fish on your trip. Await pics in the future, will get mine done soon too.
Sally

Postby Duds1000 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:23 pm

Hi,
I keep all my fish in there own species tanks and with the help of the forum and advice will start putting species together. I have had tropical fish for a very long time, but this is my first move into cichlids of Lake victoria so will take all advice going its only right that I do that for the wellbeing of the fish in my care. Will try to get pis soon!!
Duds1000
EGG
EGG

Postby Paul B » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:00 pm

:text-worthless:

:banana-gotpics:
Image Image Image Image
Paul B
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Paul B » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:03 pm

There are still some kept from Hull Uni' stocks and would be good to mix the fry for future groups.
:handgestures-thumbup:
Image Image Image Image
Paul B
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Duds1000 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:18 am

Ok I will try and get some pics this weekend but im not the best with that sort of thing!!!! So Hull would do swaps?? and the thereuterion have started to come out more must say they are in very nice condition. My 800 mile round trip was well worth it!!!!!
Duds1000
EGG
EGG

Postby Sally » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:31 am

Tried to get some pictures of mine, really hard and my husband can fiddle with the setting better than me on the camera - so will get him to try later. But it is a start. One is turning black and the most feisty, looks like he will turn out a cracker, all the others are silver and smaller.
Here goes and sorry for the poor quality.
Sally

Next

Return to Victoria