Forum

AquaRank.com

Lake Victoria PH/Hardness

Here you can talk about all Victorian Cichlids.

Lake Victoria PH/Hardness

Postby Duds1000 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:28 am

Hi
I live in a soft water area up here in Scotland and would like to know what other vic keepers are doing to keep the PH and hardness up in there Vic tanks. Is it better to use tufa rock and coral sand or use a epsom salt and bicarbonate of soda mix?
Duds1000
EGG
EGG

Re: Lake Victoria PH/Hardness

Postby Jimbo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:46 am

Better to use African cichlid salts as these contain all the trace elements that are present in the lake.
Jimbo

Postby Duds1000 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:47 pm

Ok thanks, so is the Epsom/bicarb soda mix just a cheap way of raising the PH and keeping the water hard? Will the cichlid salts buffer the water? or will this just put trace elements in the water? will i not still need some sort of buffer to get the PH and hardness up as I have soft water?
Duds1000
EGG
EGG

Postby Jimbo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:33 pm

You still need to adjust the pH, but check what it is from the tap. I stay in Troon and our water is very soft , but with coral sand and ocean rock, my pH sat around 7.6 without adding anything except cichlid salts.
Jimbo

Postby Duds1000 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:54 pm

Thanks for the advice I will add some coral sand and tufa to an empty tank see what kind of readings I get. Troon? I think I have meet you jimbo I live in Dundee I think you bought some cichlids from me last year? :handgestures-thumbup:
Duds1000
EGG
EGG

Postby Jimbo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:29 am

Might well have - I used to come through to Rickys regularly.
Jimbo

Postby Duds1000 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:11 pm

what about Seachem Malawi/lake victoria buffer has anyone used it in there vic tank? If you did, was it of any use?
Duds1000
EGG
EGG

Postby Paul B » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:38 pm

Seachem is a very good product but for me became too expensive, why do you feel you need to do anything to your water in the first place ? Of the 3 main lakes, Victoria has the softest being a bowl.
Some species like Astatotilapia latifasciata and Haplochromis sp."ruby green" are from surrounding bodies of water and can have parameters similar to riverines as some areas are covered by vast areas of swamp. These species i have found do not do well in hard water long term but a moderate ph of 7.6 will do.

The only reason i would add cichlids salts would be to stabalise the ph in very soft water, this would need using along side the ph buffer but use in moderation.

My water runs off Dartmoor and is rather soft but with coral gravel and rocks in a lot of tanks all i ever add is a little bi-carb.
Image Image Image Image
Paul B
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Duds1000 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:22 pm

hi thanks for the information, my water is very soft around here. I was going to use sand and rocks in my tank but not coral and tufa. Ph here is about 7 but would need some kind of buffer as the PH falls off very fast! The malawi/tang breeders around here use a Epsom/bi-carb mix. So if i just use coral sand and rocks I will have no problems with vics?
Duds1000
EGG
EGG

Postby Meeli » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:36 pm

Hi Graham
To raise the ph / kh i use sodium bicarb gh use epsom salts but if your buying fish from a breeder / shop its a good idea to match there water if possible to start with
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/w ... mistry.php
Cheers
Ricky
Meeli

Next

Return to Victoria