Neochromis omnicaeruleus makobe Island

Here you can talk about all Victorian Cichlids.

Neochromis omnicaeruleus makobe Island

Postby Paul B » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:02 am

As Lekh requested, here are some of the Neochromis omnicaeruleus morphs

2 male blue morphs
yellow morph
blotch morph - also get almost black blotch males

The females

Care and maintainence.
These are true rock Mbipi,found in shallow water over rocks on which they graze. I feed a daily diet of spirulina flake/pellet and occasional feeds of sprawns. Aquascapping would be typical for malawi mbuna which would in my opinion make the best tank mates as long as they are not overly aggressive.

The strain from Makobe show a degree of polymorphic colouration. According to Seehausen there are as many as 4 male morphs and between 8 and 10 female morphs. In nature the plain blue male dominates and for females the OB. Because of the selection processes that favoured OB and WB males in these experiments i believe a higher percentage will occure from these fish than would occur in the wild. ... s_november

The population from Kunene can produce the yellow male morphs but females are generally OB. Makobe can also produce OB and the two look identical, i have been told the makobe's have a cleaner blotch pattern with the Kunene more "dirty"

The populations of Neochromis omnicaeruleus are thought to be stable and of least concern.

Paul :handgestures-thumbup:
Image Image Image Image
Paul B

Re: Neochromis omnicaeruleus makobe Island

Postby cichlid crazy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:37 pm

Lovely set of pics Paul and good info, they look like they've all grown well and settled down since I last saw them cracking job. :text-goodpost: :text-coolphotos:
cichlid crazy

Re: Neochromis omnicaeruleus makobe Island

Postby Becca » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:48 pm

I like the Blue (nice aquamarine shade) and orange ones- not so keen on the OB though.

Lovely fish and great pics too :text-bravo:

Return to Victoria