Forum

AquaRank.com

Fish from Czech republic - buyer beware !

Here you can talk about all Victorian Cichlids.

Fish from Czech republic - buyer beware !

Postby Paul B » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:37 am

A little over 10 years ago i had some of my best malawi's from the Czech republic and some of my first vics too, but sadly over the years the quality and general service from there has plummeted. This is a copy from a disappointed customer

"back in 10/9 i recieved a shippment of 30 fish from the czeck republic. at about 650.00, what was to be there were yssichromis picatius, haplochromis deep water black aka pundamilia macrocephala. they alll came in mixed togather at a size of .5 inch. come to find out no picatus. about 20 fish that were obvious hybrids, one that may have been a pundimilia asurea, and 8 that were to be macrocephala. after getting what i thought was good help in id the fish they were wrong. first they said that i had the right fish then they spread the word they are hybrid, then say the are ok. after a year and occupining most of my tanks with fry and females
trying in vain to bring a species here that hadnt ben before. today i trashed the entire group. i dont want to be known as having hybrid species. very frusatrating and costly and all in all i tried to do a great thing and it turned out making me look like an ass. i think maybe from now on ill just stay with what at the lfs.. bacisicaly nothing. if it handt been for kevin b and my mbipia i think id get ouit of vics all togather."

He is not alone, i spoke with a Scotsman last year who found himself in the same situation.

There is a problem with hybrid vics at the moment many coming from the Czech republic, i just want to warn anyone before spending their hard earned money.
Image Image Image Image
Paul B
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Re: Fish from Czech republic - buyer beware !

Postby Becca » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:42 am

Terrible state of affairs :handgestures-thumbdown:

Thanx for the heads up Paul.
Becca

Postby cichlid crazy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:40 pm

Thanks for the info Paul shame things have ended up so badly with the fish from over there but this has been happening for a couple of years with all types of tropical fish coming over here, there were a few lfs that had their stocks wiped out by disease from the fish they imported from the Czech republic now they seem to be dealing in hybrids..................... :handgestures-thumbdown: :handgestures-thumbdown:
cichlid crazy

Postby Tony » Fri May 28, 2010 7:13 pm

the problem with czech is it is a collection company from breeders and now the far east ! with some of there fish as well,

the thing is you run the risk of getting fish from a good or bad breeder ,so repeat orders are also dodgy,

the sizes that come in from the czeck are also comical there 4cm are nearer 2cm

i suppose its a bit like buying off A/C but all the A/C ads having no seller names on them,

wow now theres a scarey thought :text-lol:
Tony & Clare - UK's largest dedicated home breeders of Malawi Cichlids
http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk
Tony
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby cichlid crazy » Sun May 30, 2010 12:36 am

toni wrote:the problem with czech is it is a collection company from breeders and now the far east ! with some of there fish as well,

the thing is you run the risk of getting fish from a good or bad breeder ,so repeat orders are also dodgy,

the sizes that come in from the czeck are also comical there 4cm are nearer 2cm

i suppose its a bit like buying off A/C but all the A/C ads having no seller names on them,

wow now theres a scarey thought :text-lol:

They are definately buyer beware ain't they :text-goodpost:
cichlid crazy

Postby LIKOMAMAN » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:39 pm

heres one for you , a batch of sp44s bred :happy-jumpeveryone: right

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: 4 months later brood is nearing 2 inch

Wait there whats that i see, thats a nice male, let me get closer, looks like a 'python island senga type fish', where did that come from :doh: , plus two albino vics which appear to females from what i can see :doh:

I Dont F..KING REMEBER HAVING ANY OTHER VIC WITH THE THEN BREEDIN BATCH let alone having any albino or senga type vics, SOMEONES COCKED UP :naughty:

Agree with pauls point be careful where you buy vics from :handgestures-thumbup:
LIKOMAMAN

Return to Victoria