Forum

AquaRank.com

Neochromis omnicaeruleus makobe Island

Here you can talk about all Victorian Cichlids.

Re: Neochromis omnicaeruleus makobe Island

Postby kevin » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:23 pm

hello paul the young look a lot better than what the adults did.are the young males still hard on the females
kevin
EGG
EGG

Postby Paul B » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:55 pm

kevin wrote:hello paul the young look a lot better than what the adults did.are the young males still hard on the females

Hi Kevin,
That is one of your females spawning with a male i managed to get from my trip last summer. The pictures really don't show the true colours. Yes the males are hard on everything and the females can give it back as well. The strain from Kunene were far worse tho.
Had 2 spit today, 30+ fry , at this rate i will be over run with them by Christmas :handgestures-thumbup:
Image Image Image Image
Paul B
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby kevin » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:08 pm

thats ok if you get to many as i should think the young should be good sellers
kevin
EGG
EGG

Postby cichlid crazy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:20 pm

Congratz on the fry then Paul. :happy-jumpeveryone:
cichlid crazy

Postby Nathan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:08 pm

alanastar wrote: The strain from Kunene were far worse tho.
Had 2 spit today, 30+ fry , at this rate i will be over run with them by Christmas :handgestures-thumbup:

tell me about it - mine have just spawned again and i had to remove the females straight away as the one that isn't holding was attacking the others !!
the females are worse than the males who have their heirachy sorted now, the dom is the daddy always flaring but not actually fighting whereas the next dom is always trying to spawn but gets interupted by the least dominant every time - the most dom has pure colours whereas the lowest one has a different type of marking on his tail ( a larger black splodge rather than a nice line) the yellow morph only appears yellow at times mostly just muted but he has never spawned or attempted ( ithink) - most fry i get at a time is around 12 - 16 but only seem to have 8 live each time - like tropheus
Nathan
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby Paul B » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:07 am

Hi Nathan,

I have realised these may do better maintained as a large group. You may want to consider keeping all your fry for a future colony as selling them off as pairs results in dead females. You very well maybe the last person to have these soon and there are none left at Hull. The last remaining fish went to Switzerland , with a few finding their way the the French Asso' who will want to keep them within the Asso'.

Maintaining a large group also allows for a more diverse gene pool, more than 1 male can spawn with a single female. You will want to encourage spawns from many males and may want to rest the dominant male away from the girls for a while. This is what happens at Hull and is the only reason i managed to acquire my chilotes and neo's makobe males - they had sewn their seed and had served their purpose !

Dont want to pressure you mate , but they are a bit special.
If i could set up a 5x2x2 i would have a group of fry off you myself.

I just cant help myself - old man Kunene
Image Image Image Image
Paul B
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Paul B » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:10 am

These may also want a packed tank, have you tried them with your group of auratus ?
I had them in with salousi , acei and elongatus chewere.
Image Image Image Image
Paul B
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Nathan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:46 pm

alanastar wrote:These may also want a packed tank, have you tried them with your group of auratus ?
I had them in with salousi , acei and elongatus chewere.

they're in with the auratus group, acei group, yellow lab group and burtonnis

they're healthy and have had no losses except fry, not moving on any more of the juvies at all for a long time - added 2 juvie pairs yesterday and they seem fine in with the adults, the females have actually outgrown the males a little at the moment, got 7 juvies still growing on in the grow out and the female holding, bought a lot more ocean rock the other day (swopped it for some rubin red juvies) so plenty of cover now and they seem really happy.

worst thing of late with them was the sub male had a cloudy eye - took him out put him in the priory (rehab tank) for a week and he's fine now, added the ruti island single male to the tank to and he's not interested in them so pleased with that (he won't cross surely ?)
Nathan
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby Paul B » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:30 am

hi nathan,

i had kunene male breed with pundamilia females but not the other way round.
also showed more aggression towards fish with vertical barring - time will tell.
you have plenty of cover so may be ok :handgestures-thumbup:

I'm off this week - can i pop up with me camera ;-)

paul
Image Image Image Image
Paul B
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Nathan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:30 am

its my birthday on sat paul, so we're off to chester from thurs am to sun pm, working till midnight tonight and on a 2- midnight tomorrow but i'm around tomorrow (weds morning) until about 1 when i need to leave for work
Nathan
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

PreviousNext

Return to Victoria