Forum

AquaRank.com

Loss of a ruti island

Here you can talk about all Victorian Cichlids.

Loss of a ruti island

Postby Nathan » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:28 am

well after 3 years and countless unsuccessful spawns i found my pundamilia nyeri ruti island female dead this morning when i got home, i've had the pair since i first ventured into rift lakes as they were the ones to capture my interest, rarely seen them for sale since and although they continually attempted i only had one successful batch of fry with which i made the fatal error of the fry trap in the main tank !! sucked through the gaps,

the female looked fine yesterday and still looked well (apart from being dead !) this morning, no signs of bullying etc, guess poss old age as they were a mature pair when i got them at least 3 years old at that point so a minimum of 6 years old and the claim (although i doubt it was true) was that they were f1.

bit of a shame but guess she'd not had a bad stint - just a shame she left no fry to carry on - tragically the male actually looks happy about it- he's brighter than hes been for a week or two and is really laying down the law in the tank, seems to have a bit of a grudge against a large male borleyi at the moment !
Nathan
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Re: Loss of a ruti island

Postby Jimbo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:31 am

Sorry to hear that Nathan.
Jimbo

Postby Becca » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:48 am

Ah thats a shame- sorry to hear your loss!!

I hope you can find a new female for him :handgestures-thumbup:
Becca

Postby Nathan » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:51 am

i'm gutted but hoping that paul may know where i can source a replacement - never wanted to add a second before as worried it would upset the balance but might be worth the gamble i think
Nathan
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby mbunasam » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:11 pm

sorry to hear that Nathan, hope Paul can source one for you fella :handgestures-thumbup:
mbunasam

Postby Paul B » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:21 pm

Sorry to hear that Nathan,
generally vics are active breeders from 8 months - 2 years then they slow down. A fish of 3 years is almost past its best breeding age - not saying they will not give you a spawn tho.A fish of 6 years is getting on a bit. There are exceptions to this, chilotes for one are late bloomers and probably live longer for it.

My friend in Brittany has Ruti's, so its not a total loss just a matter of time.

It just happens this morning i have changed my pumps over on my sump and may have to temporarily close down the garage as it isnt working out and needs some major work. Will be looking at re-homing a lot of fish.
I already have some "hippo point salmons" for you, basically what else do you have room for !

I hope this will make up for your loss.

paul
Image Image Image Image
Paul B
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby cichlid crazy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Real shame about your Ruti Island female Nathan, we had that happen to us last year and the male had been a bit of a git ever since, he's in a fry net at the moment as he's been really nasty so we're giving the other fish a rest from him.
cichlid crazy

Postby Nathan » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:06 pm

paul,
i should be able to take on pretty much anything you want mate soon, as i'm clearing the 6ft of all the haps and the 5ft of all the mbuna, the 4ft bow is gonna get cleared of all the grow outs - to maidenhead if no-one buys them as they give me good credit for them which i can use for dry goods, i'll give you a shout at some point this week, off weds but out for dinner in the evening.
hope its not gonna take you too long to get sorted back out though mate ?
Nathan
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Return to Victoria