Forum

AquaRank.com

Sexing Alto Compressiceps?

Here you can talk about all Tanganyikan cichlids.

Sexing Alto Compressiceps?

Postby u02jpf6 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi i have recently bought a pair of gold head Altolamprologus Compressiceps. They spend their time at opposite sides of my 6ft tank but when they come accross each other the largest one harrasses the smaller in much the same way Malawi cichlids do when they are breeding. Im not sure if I have ended up with 2 Males and the biggest is showing dominance rather than a pair trying to breed?

Ive got a video and some pictures if I could also have someone tell me whether the largest Brichardi is a Helianthus as it hasn't an elongated caudal fin, which my normal brichardi have. The smaller one in the video is unrelated I was hoping they would pair up.

Thanks for any help

u02jpf6

Re: Sexing Alto Compressiceps?

Postby Clare » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:35 am

Sounds like your comps are both males tbh.
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Fly » Sat May 12, 2012 2:20 am

I couldn't see your YouTube vid as I'm on an iPad at the moment and it won't let me play it. However sexing comps can be a bit hit and miss when they're juveniles IMO. It's easy enough when they're older and the males are obviously bigger and have a far more prominent slope/angle to their foreheads than the females do. When they're young it's harder. I've kept them for many years but only a few years back bought what I was convinced was a group of 1 male and 2 female gold heads. Turned out one of the "females" was a male and eventually grew from a timid, retiring specimen into the largest and most dominant of the three.

In my personal experience, I've always found that males can co-exist quite happily though in a decent size tank - even in that case which was ultimately 2 full-grown adult males and 1 female in a 100cm 180l tank. They'll have their moments, but I've never had to separate them.
Fly
FRY
FRY

Postby Clare » Sat May 12, 2012 9:44 am

Great advice Fly. :tu:
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Return to Tanganyika