Forum

AquaRank.com

Mixing synodontis sepcies!

Here you can talk about all Tanganyikan cichlids.

Mixing synodontis sepcies!

Postby j.jarman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi, in my 1000l tank i have 2 synos that were sold to me as synodontis tiger. They are blatently different speices of syno, and i think they are crosses. They get along together brilliantly though.

I've had an offer on some multipunctatus, and am wondering what will happen if I put five or so of these catfish in with my current two? I'm assuming they wont cross breed as arent the multipunctatus the only synos that steal cichlid eggs to breed?
j.jarman
FRY
FRY

Re: Mixing synodontis sepcies!

Postby daveyboy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:51 pm

Dont know too mutch about synodondis tbh hopfully someone may be on later who will be able to answer your question :tu:
daveyboy
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby Tony » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:08 pm

Hi James ,

I've kept many syno's over the years and kept many different species together with no problems at all ,the only species I found to squabble were the Angelicus and that was only with each other :tu:

Multipuctatus males will also squabble with each other but I have never had anything major injury wise with them :tu:
Tony & Clare - UK's largest dedicated home breeders of Malawi Cichlids
http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk
Tony
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby chris33 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:57 pm

daveyboy wrote:Dont know too mutch about synodondis tbh hopfully someone may be on later who will be able to answer your question :tu:

Have you got this copied, ready to paste? You say this all the time!!!!!!
A good fish breeder is one who puts their knowledge in their fish. Who put their time into growing them up to even slightly resemble their parents.
chris33
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby j.jarman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am

cheers tony, do you think they will cross breed though?? I'm not really that clued up on synos to be honest, i've got them to stop any (or at least limit any) cross breeding of aulonocara in that tank
j.jarman
FRY
FRY

Postby Tony » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:13 pm

I doubt they will breed at all tbh exept for the multi's if you have any and their breeding behaviour is different to other's so can see cross breeding at all,Lucipinnis even if they bred the survival of the eggs and fry are zero in a community tank so no worries there ,But they will defiantly keep the fry problem at bay for you :tu:
Tony & Clare - UK's largest dedicated home breeders of Malawi Cichlids
http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk
Tony
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Return to Tanganyika