Forum

AquaRank.com

Stocking ideas

Here you can talk about all Tanganyikan cichlids.

Stocking ideas

Postby kelly » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:59 pm

I am looking for help stocking a 4.5ft x 2ft x 1ft tank with tangs, I defo want to keep shellys in it was wondering has anyone any ideas?
kelly
ADULT
ADULT

Re: Stocking ideas

Postby Fly » Thu May 10, 2012 3:07 pm

Your post is a couple of months old now, so I've probably missed the boat. However, that's a great size tank for Tangs in my opinion. I would fill it with something like the following:

3 x Altolamprologus Compressiceps (1m 2f)
1 x N. Buescheri
4 x N. multifasciatus (your shellies - and they will breed given enough shells, so you'll end up with more)
6 x Paracyprichromis nigripinnis

That's a perfect tang setup in my opinion, and I've kept one very similar. The only change I might make would be to go for a pair of the sand-dwellers, such as Xenotilapia or Callochromis, instead of either the paracyps or compressiceps. All fantastic fish and with good filtration you've still probably room to add something else from the lake that might take your fancy, like an Eretmodus or two.
Fly
FRY
FRY

Postby kelly » Thu May 10, 2012 10:01 pm

Missed the lot :laughing-lettersrofl: Did Tangs for about 3 weeks and sold them all again. Decided to go back to the mbuna. Did keep some leleupi and Tropheus out of the tank though and are breeding away now quite happily :tu: Thanks for the reply :tu:
kelly
ADULT
ADULT

Postby Fly » Sat May 12, 2012 1:02 am

:laughing-lettersrofl:

Glad to hear you've still got some Tropheus anyway... stunning fish. The thing with Tangs is that I always start missing them as soon as I stop keeping them... I'm not sure exactly what it is, but once bitten they have a way of bringing you back, so you never know - you might go there again. :D

I've just switched my main - previously Tanganyikan – tank to a hap/peacock one, but I've still got a small Shellie tank. Don't think I could ever give up the Tangs completely. :)
Fly
FRY
FRY

Return to Tanganyika