Forum

AquaRank.com

wild tropheus

Here you can talk about all Tanganyikan cichlids.

wild tropheus

Postby Fonner2009 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi i was just wondering if any one knows how i should go about keeping wild tropheus?
from water, decor, what they will eat? being that there wild will they be harder to keep?
this is ikola laiser and duboisi masawa
thanks sam
Fonner2009
EGG
EGG

Re: wild tropheus

Postby dogface » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Hi bud have a few wild groups they are no diffrent from tank bread spirulina flake andnew era grean cichlid pelets found they would not go near fresh veg straight away go for it bud as you can get more variaty of fish you would"nt got in the shops a lot of people might not agree with me but i have got some fantastic fish from micks rifts over at liverpool way any probs gives a shout see if i can help you out. cheers davy
dogface
EGG
EGG

dark patches on f1 tropheus

Postby simon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:51 pm

hi got some lakeside bred moliros a couple of months ago and quite a few of them have dark patches on there sides does any one no anything about the marks at all will they go as they get older they are not the same marks that you get on malwis sometimes
simon
EGG
EGG

Postby joshy001 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:26 am

simon

IMO , in a tank wild tangs are exposed to Nitrates that they would not come into contact in the lake and can cause blemishes , if its high all the time

I have wild tangs and in the early days i had minor problems when my nitrates raised above 10ppm , my nitrate never rises above this now in all my tanks

i also prepare my water in a barrel letting it gas off for a few days and i buffer using epsom salts and sodium bicarbonate the same way that "Sorry but this seller is not recommended" preps all his tanks

another reason when tangs have blemishes is if the water is perfect is that the fish may have been line bred and might not be wild at all , plenty of people claim to sell wild or but you have only got to look at the crap in some pet shops to see

this is just my opinion

hope this helps
joshy001
EGG
EGG

Postby simon » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:17 pm

hi joshy001 thanks for your reply i got them from a reputable breeder and had the marks on some of them when they arrived ,i have since looked online and the only thing i could find was something which some people call lake spot here is a couple of pics of my fish
and here is the info i found

I can't tell you a scientific reason behind this most of what I know is anecdotal. However it sounds like what you are describing may be what a lot of Tanganyikan keepers refer to as "lake spots". It is widely believed that these spots are only found on wild caught fish. Tang keepers have often used these spots as proof that their fish were WC as only WC were believed to have them. I was on board with this until I recently saw these spots on an F1 Lunangwa South.

What I can tell you is that it is common with Trophs and Frontosas (more so in WC than F1,F2,TR). It does not appear to have anything to do with water quality or any other known reason. They seem to just appear. The good news is that fish with these spots don't suffer from any specific health issues. They can and should live normal healthy lives.

ok theres the info and being new to tropheus i cant say whether or not its accurate so can you all please tell me what you think
simon
EGG
EGG

Postby d4veh » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:15 pm

Very nice looking fish
d4veh
EGG
EGG

Return to Tanganyika