oreochromis tanganicae holding for 1st time

Here you can talk about all Tanganyikan cichlids.

oreochromis tanganicae holding for 1st time

Postby capester » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:20 am

Hi everyone,

I have 5 of these beautiful and mis-understood cichlids. I bought them as one male and 4 females at around 6/7" last year- needless to say one of the females is looking like it is a male!

Anyhow, one of the females is holding and still seems to have something in there after a week but I am not getting too excited as it is her first brood and these guys are ALWAYS hungry!

Having said that, they are not the bloody minded, boisterous killers any number of articles/boards swear that they are. The dominant male is around 12 inches now and the suspected 2nd male only slightly smaller, whilst there is the odd bit of posturing and chasing there is never any lasting confrontation and all of the other fish in the tank are pretty much ignored- even when he is in full breeding mode.

I am therefore in the happy position of having a group of large, stunning cichlids that don't seem to want to kill everything else in sight- I have a 4" front in with these guys and they completely ignore him!

Whether this is an odd situation or whether they really are a lot more placid than I am led to believe I couldn't answer but long live the Tanganyikan tilapia!

Re: oreochromis tanganicae holding for 1st time

Postby Clare » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:29 pm

Good luck and keep us updated. :tu: :clap:
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26

Re: oreochromis tanganicae holding for 1st time

Postby damba » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:25 pm

You have done well a these are one of the most aggressive cichlids and they get huge. But they are stunning. Keep this updated.

I live in Eastbourne - the sunniest place in Britain. That isn't really saying much...
twitter @pevenseytom
Cymru am byth.

Pevensey the birthplace of modern England.
Don't watch your Petros too closely. Don't talk to them. Don't feed them bad things - it leads to bloat

Return to Tanganyika