Forum

AquaRank.com

What do Frontosa Eat!?

Here you can talk about all Tanganyikan cichlids.

What do Frontosa Eat!?

Postby Leon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:35 pm

I have had 3 frontosa from very small and they are now around 4", for the past year they have been in a tank at work, i just threw some Hikari Cichlid excel in every day but did notice they never went up for the food.

I have recently closed down my 350 Litre Malawi Tank and set up as a Tanganyki tank, now i have more time to watch them i notice they never eat! Their bellies curve upwards as do many i see videos of. The tangs seem so much more timid compared to my malawi's at feeding time!

any help appricieted as i have tried various foods that i have and they ignore it or take it in and spit it out, they must have been eating for the past year to surive!

thanks

Leon

p.s i know they eat fish in the wild.. they have had a little look at 3 baby F1 Petricola i purchased today but luckliy they didnt fancy them either!
Leon
EGG
EGG

Re: What do Frontosa Eat!?

Postby ant » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:55 pm

Mmmmm...
Try a few small pieces of prawn....
I have 2" fronts and feed them on ..
Mysis, krill, spitulina crisp, NLS 1mm sinking...
ant
ADULT
ADULT

Postby damba » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Anything they can including tankmates.

I live in Eastbourne - the sunniest place in Britain. That isn't really saying much...
twitter @pevenseytom
Cymru am byth.

Pevensey the birthplace of modern England.
Don't watch your Petros too closely. Don't talk to them. Don't feed them bad things - it leads to bloat
damba
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Leon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:29 pm

well they now and again take flake i have found.. however they must be happy as tonight they bred for the first time! got a female with what looks like hundreds of eggs in her mouth! I think this is the first so they may not last, but i could cope with loads of baby Frontosa :-)
Leon
EGG
EGG

Postby damba » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:47 am

I love baby fronts and well done! My fronts good mad for bloodworm prima and mysis.

I live in Eastbourne - the sunniest place in Britain. That isn't really saying much...
twitter @pevenseytom
Cymru am byth.

Don't watch your Petros too closely. Don't talk to them. Don't feed them bad things - it leads to bloat
damba
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby ant » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:58 pm

You shouldnt feed fronts bloodworm as it can give them bloat......
Ask any experienced front owner and they will tell you just that.....
ant
ADULT
ADULT

Postby chris33 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:15 pm

I kept them back when I was married. live blood worm when adult with shelled peas and they like to pick on romain lettuce. this is a good balance diet for them. mine thrived
A good fish breeder is one who puts their knowledge in their fish. Who put their time into growing them up to even slightly resemble their parents.
chris33
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby damba » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:55 am

Ant kept fronts for many years this group for 4 bloodworm has NEVER caused bloat. I dont kniw who told you that??? What causes bloat in frontosa is floating pellet as they take in too much air as they gulp itdown. There was a good article on this many years ago in Cichlid News. Sorry just dont agree with you.

twitter @pevenseytom
Cymru am byth.

damba
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby ant » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:44 am

Agree with you on floating pellet why people buy it makes you wonder..
Im no expert on fronts and dont pretend to be but i was only passing on what other experienced front owners told me....
ant
ADULT
ADULT

Postby damba » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:31 pm

I guess it is down to personal experience. I guess that some lose fish this way and blame the worm. They would not be natural to the fish in the lake. The trouble is they are very greedy and will gulp air with food hence sinking foods being better. Great fish.

twitter @pevenseytom
Cymru am byth.

damba
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Next

Return to Tanganyika