Forum

AquaRank.com

Tutorial - Tank shots with average point and shoot camera.

Any hints and tips for others -please post here. Anything you want to ask - post it here.

Tutorial - Tank shots with average point and shoot camera.

Postby Clare » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:21 am

Hello. I am a very enthusiastic fish photographer. I have been taking photos of my fish and tanks for nearly 5 years. I moved on from a point and shoot camera (commonly referred to as a compact camera) 3 years ago and I moved onto a DSLR (known as the cameras that you can change the lenses)

I have compiled a detailed walkthrough of how to get a good tank photo. Everyone can do this, even those who only have a camera on their phone. I believe we should all have the ability to show off our prize tanks.

This tutorial is being done with an Olympus SP-700 6 MP camera. Its a low end 5 year old camera which I thought would show people how to get the most out of whatever camera they have to use.
Settings are Automatic with FLASH OFF!!!!!!

After editing, I am using Windows Photo Gallery on the "fix" option. If you don't have this option, then any other photo software with a "cropping" tool will do.
If you do not resize your photos yourself, then make sure the option on Photobucket resizes then for you. This forum only accepts photos 800x600 pixels or smaller.

The camera that is being used.

The room in which the tank is situated.

Try and find yourself something to lean the camera on for stability. I use my computer chair. Move the camera to where you can get the full tank width in frame In the middle of the window so cropping is easy. Like this.

The tank should look like this in the screen. If you are using a camera where you need to use the view finder then it should also look like this when you look through it.

Most cameras have a timer option on the settings. Turn this on and press it once you have the perfect shot. This takes away all camera shake and gives you a clearer picture. If you can't use the timer use both hands to take the picture and use the chair or whatever you are using to keep yourself steady. Remember to turn all your room lights OFF!!! keep your tank lights on this reduces any reflections on the glass.

Open the photo in your editing software. As stated, I am using Windows photo gallery for this tutorial, something which 98% of you should have as standard on your pc.

Open your photo and you will see it like this. Now.
Step one - Click fix.
Step two - Click crop picture.
Step 3 - Move the cropping to border the glass of the tank only.
Like so.

After clicking Apply your photo will look like this. so save it and upload it to [url]photobucket[/url] or whatever photo sharing site you use.

Your photo will look something like this.

I really do hope this tutorial has helped you capture your tank in all its glory. Please don't forget to share your photo and let me know so I can add it to the forums photo gallery.

If you feel anything else could be added then please let me know. Please leave a comment if you use this tutorial.

Best wishes and happy snapping.
:handgestures-thumbup:
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Tutorial - Tank shots with average point and shoot camer

Postby andywroe » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:24 am

:text-goodpost: :text-bravo:
Will they be one for taking pics of fish?
HULL CITY BEST TEAM IN YORKSHIRE
andywroe
ADULT
ADULT

Postby Clare » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:29 am

My camera which was used for the above tut has been lost. I have another point and shoot but never really played with it for fish pics. Will have a go and see if its worthy of a tut. :handgestures-thumbup:
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Tony » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:35 am

i think daveys got a point and shoot ,i think he would love to do a tutorial like this one :handgestures-thumbup:

just a thought if yours don't work :handgestures-thumbup:
Tony & Clare - UK's largest dedicated home breeders of Malawi Cichlids
http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk
Tony
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby Clare » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:36 am

Tony wrote:i think daveys got a point and shoot ,i think he would love to do a tutorial like this one :handgestures-thumbup:

just a thought if yours don't work :handgestures-thumbup:

Fantastic idea. Thanks in advance Davey. :handgestures-thumbup:
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby andywroe » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:17 pm

Cheers davey can't wait :handgestures-thumbup:
HULL CITY BEST TEAM IN YORKSHIRE
andywroe
ADULT
ADULT

Postby Deak » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:22 pm

haha no rest for the wicked hey dave lol
Deak
ADULT
ADULT

Postby mik1138 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:06 pm

Is that a mirror on the bottom left of the tank?
NEVER EAT YELLOW SNOW
mik1138
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby Clare » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:39 pm

mik1138 wrote:Is that a mirror on the bottom left of the tank?

Yes it is, I forgot to move it for the photo. The mirror was added for a couple of days as I had a very aggressive dominant male afra. The mirror allowed him to attack himself instead of attacking other fish. I have used this method many times when I have had a overly aggressive male and it works very well.
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

flRe: Tutorial - Tank shots with average point and shoot cam

Postby dogface » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi put a reply onto bying tips /and advice give it a read and let me know what you think you sound as if you like to muck about with a camera give this a try think you will like the results you can get. cheers davy..
dogface
EGG
EGG

Postby mik1138 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Clare wrote:
mik1138 wrote:Is that a mirror on the bottom left of the tank?

Yes it is, I forgot to move it for the photo. The mirror was added for a couple of days as I had a very aggressive dominant male afra. The mirror allowed him to attack himself instead of attacking other fish. I have used this method many times when I have had a overly aggressive male and it works very well.

That is a tremendous Idea
NEVER EAT YELLOW SNOW
mik1138
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby Deak » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:22 pm

i leave a piece of foiled card packaging at the side of my tank all the time then as they go through the rock all dulled down they come out the rock with a bit of colour lol
Deak
ADULT
ADULT

Postby Clare » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:31 am

Great idea Deak and looking forward to the photos Dan

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Malawi Melrose » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi All
I am new to this forum and just read the photography article and thought I could add a few more tips having been a wedding photographer for 16 years.
Most point and shoot cameras have lots of controls on them that most people never use, three of them saying something like M for Manual, Tv Shutter Speed control and Av for Aperture control. Using any of these modes setup correctly will give you better results and will allow you to catch your fish as a clear shot rather than sometimes a blur, as the shutter speed is too slow. The idea is to take a few test shots until your setting are correct( trial and error ) your aperture should be as large as possible to allow as much light into the camera the number you should be looking for is something like 2.8 or 3.5. 2.8 is the largest between those two aperture but very rarely found on point and shoot you may be lucky and get 3.0. If your camera is set to Av mode then it will deal with the speed if you deal with the aperture. Ideal speed will vary but aim for 1/125 to 1/250. 1/250 being the fastest if you use TV settings you deal with the shutter speed and it will deal with the aperture. Or you can simply set you camera to Manual and control both setting.

Flash and the reflections
Turn your flash off is a starting point but you may end up with very dark photos. To combat this and get your photos bright there is another setting to look for called ISO which is for light sensitivity. The higher this number is set, the less light the cameras needs to take a photo, however there is a slight trade off called noise that may be seen in your photos, small black speckles so again experiment to see what gives you best result.

Hope this helps people use the 95% of their cameras functionality that never gets touched. Its easy!!!

Cheers
David
Malawi Melrose
EGG
EGG

Postby Grant » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Cheers David, getting my camera set up is a pain in the ass. I take hundreds of shots (which I'm now going to call test shots! Lol) and pull out 2 or 3 which are acceptable. Ill refer to this when having another go :tu:
Grant
ADULT
ADULT

Postby Tony » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:42 pm

The best ever setting I found for our pic's is the "Clare" setting :tu: :text-lol:
Tony & Clare - UK's largest dedicated home breeders of Malawi Cichlids
http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk
Tony
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby Grant » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:04 pm

:tu:
Grant
ADULT
ADULT

Return to Photography hints and tips