Forum

AquaRank.com

labeotropheus trewavasae chilumba

Post all your Malawi cichlid photos here.

labeotropheus trewavasae chilumba

Postby Chris » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:55 pm

Had the camera out so I took a few pics of my labeotropheus trewavasae chilumba, they look much more red in person than these pics

Image Image Image
Chris
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Re: labeotropheus trewavasae chilumba

Postby damba » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Very nice fish. Real characters!

I live in Eastbourne - the sunniest place in Britain. That isn't really saying much...
twitter @pevenseytom
Cymru am byth.

Pevensey the birthplace of modern England.
Don't watch your Petros too closely. Don't talk to them. Don't feed them bad things - it leads to bloat
damba
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby K5mow » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:59 am

Great looking pics.

Roger
75 Gallon Mbuna Tank

6 Yellow Labs
5 Albino Cobalts
5 Pseudotropheus Acei
1 Male OB Peacook
3 Female OB Peacook
4 Albino OB Zebra
2 Cherry Zebra
1 Male Demansoni
K5mow
FRY
FRY

Postby Chris » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:49 pm

Cheers guys
Chris
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby Clare » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:41 am

Lovely. :tu:

Much prefer the "Mphanga" but these have got some lovely colours to them. :tu:
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Chris » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:19 am

I have always wondered mphanga/chilumba? You see mbuna from both as these trewavasae but you also see mbuna from chilumba mpanga ??

I find it strange that mbuna can be split into two different groups for some but not split for others? And are one one and the same? I do know there is a lot of variant in the trewavasae in that area
Chris
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby Clare » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:04 pm

Yes the names have been mixed up over the years which is a shame but the case for so many mbuna.

I have seen both wild and the "Mphanga" stand out alot and these are the ones that have been used for the selective breeding to have the "Mphanga Red" which is the variant we sell. The wild "Chilumba" tend to have a more rusty colour but still as stunning in their own right. :tu:
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Chris » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:40 pm

Yes and don't forget the chilumba 'red' which is also a line bred variant as well :doh: if I am not mistaken there is also a blue coloured variant for that region too. But your fight the mpanga are stunning :tu:
Chris
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby Clare » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:58 pm

Yeah there is a blue one. Forgot about that. Females must surely choose the males in that part of the lake.
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:16 am

I found this a good read plus the maps interesting. I have posted a link I hope you don't mind :tu:

http://morefish.homestead.com/Trewavasae.html
Chris
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby Clare » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:14 pm

Of course not. :)

Yeah the locales are every so close, one is collected on the rocks and one is collected on the mainland rocks.

Alot of the zimbawe rocks and thumbi west is. They are collected so close to eachother which is why they look so alike.
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:47 pm

True. It's the same as kawanga, I had two groups from kawanga. One was typical kawanga the other pair I reckon was kakusa ??? I have seen a lot of wild kawanga doing the rounds here and America that well don't look like the traditional kawanga :td:
Chris
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby Clare » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:42 pm

I have noticed that myself here in the UK when it comes to the zebra gold...

I don't honestly think you can guarantee wilds these days like you used to be able too. :td:
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Chris » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:24 am

I have started to wonder that myself? The size of some and the wrong names has had me wondering?
Chris
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby Clare » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:17 pm

I wouldn't touch a wild with someone elses barge pole these days. I think the only ones I would depend on are species I 100% know and can ID myself. The fish which are coming in with the name zebra gold kwanga look nothing like the kwanga I have known and loved for the years of keeping wilds in the past.

Its a shame though but yeah., wild are not my cup of tea these days with the mis-identification of them.
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:03 pm

I have never been a big fan of wilds and always was happy with f1's or what ever. I do have a few wilds yes but only got them because I was unable to get tank breed alternatives. I am lucky to have a group of stereo typical kawanga here which are with out any doubt fantastic looking fish. After my last experience with wilds don't think I will be doing that again.
Chris
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby Clare » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:39 pm

You know what my last experience as a hobbyist was with wilds way back when so I don't have to mention that lol. I am just really pleased it did not destroy the hobby for me totally. Being a breeder and seller now has opened my eyes to alot when it comes to my old supplers when I was a hobbyist keeper.
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:24 pm

Yes Clare

I know some of how you felt :td: losing a 10 wilds in the space of 3 week from I collected them. It's been really hard to take tbh never mind nearly 30 fry that I had been growing for myself to increase my own stock. I spent months growing them and for them to drop off a few a day was gutting. Never mind type expense, I am in the process of re evaluating what I have. I have yard no further deaths (bar one to aggression) in weeks now.

But I did lose 2 batches of msobo, batch of these chilumba and a batch of hara oh and not to forget a batch of kingsizei lupingu. Come to think about it it must have been way more than I thought!

But lessons learnt. I am going to enjoy my hols next month and see after that how to restock, it will have given some of my existing mbuna time to grow a bit and see how my tank colour? :wave:
Chris
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby Clare » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:08 am

Yeah I heard about that. I'm so sorry. I hate to see people go through heavy losses like that. :(

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using tapatalk 4 HD
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Return to Lake Malawi