Forum

AquaRank.com

Both sets of T5 lights stopped working when barely used?

The most important part of the tank - tank about it here.

Both sets of T5 lights stopped working when barely used?

Postby connemara_man » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:15 pm

Firstly my apologies as this is somewhat long winded!

I have an Aqua One (350 litre) aquarium up and running since last November stocked with haps/peacocks. Please note that I purchased the aquarium with lights a good while earlier and has been stocked away in good dry/warm conditions. Anyhow both sets of my 2 x 54w T5 anubias light tubes (1149mm) have stopped working (4 in total) - barely used. Each 2 x 54w set of tubes has its own plug so working off 2 plugs in total.

Anyhow I turned the lights on to feed the other night and one set of 2 worked and the other set of 2 didn't, then both stopped working when I checked the switch to turn back on. A little while later one set of the lights started worked again (so seemingly a connection issue as why would it start up again after it stopped working?). Anyhow, all lighting has since stopped so I have no lighting whatsoever. I changed the plug fuses and ensured that all 4 tubes were not loose and tightly connected and that the black wire disappearing into each of the lighting units was switched tight.

I have had brand new since November and I only switch on the aquarium lights for 10 minutes in a morning and 10 minutes on an evening when feeding and maybe just for half an hour once or twice a week tops, so they have been barely used - almost new. Unfortunately the lighting definetly does not come under my aqua one guarantee.

I don't really know what to do at this juncture as a new lighting system will apparently cost me well over £100. If I can help it, I don't want to go to the expense of buying new tubes only for them not to work and not fit in a possible new lighting system that I may have no option, but to purchase.

Do you have any possible suggestions? Once unplugged I am happy to check if there is a replacement part possibly needed, but in truth I don't know what I am looking for. I have heard of a ballast may/not need replacing when looking for information, but don't know if it would apply in this case.

Many thanks in advance.
Autism isn't contageous, but ignorance is.
connemara_man
FRY
FRY

Return to Lighting