Forum

AquaRank.com

Nakantenga

Our good friend Dave sharing his experiences and photos from his trips to Lake Malawi.

Re: Nakantenga

Postby nathanmiller2131 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:52 am

Real nice pics. Love the Auratus and Crabro. :text-coolphotos:
65 Gallon

10 Labidochromis Mbamba
1 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni
nathanmiller2131
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby daveyboy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:06 pm

another set of great pics :text-coolphotos: :tu:
daveyboy
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby funkyfish » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:44 am

absolutley stunning!

if you wanted to go to minos reef, can you still do it with Zebra tours or do you need to go with someone else?

or do they let you decide where you dive?
Sometimes i wake up grumpy... sometimes i let her sleep in...
funkyfish
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Dave G » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:34 pm

If you've got a big enough party and can agree a price with David then the boat will go where you want it to! Problem is that loads of Germans and Scandinavians go in groups but I'm the only Brit (that I know of) so I end up where the the others want to go. When Stuart was alive we corresponded and he was desperate for a party of Brits to go out. I'll see what Larry and Ad are up to next year. if that doesn't work out then then I might contact Andreas Spreinat in Germany to see what he's up to. Alternative is to just get out to Mozambique - stay in a lodge and find a local dive operator (boat, cylinders, weights, compressor) and bum around the Mozambique coast and the Likoma Islands.
Dave G
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby funkyfish » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:55 pm

i was thinking of spending a week on the lake learning to dive... its a shame nowhere does a combo so you can learn on the go so to speak

would be an awsome break!

i heard you can catch your own fish and bring them home, is that true? (obviously the fish are couriered not come with you on the plane)
funkyfish
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Dave G » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:57 am

HI Funkyfish

You've two options

1. Talk with Aqua Africa at Nkhata Bay. They have a dive school. You can get a basic qualification in a week. But remember, you're there to learn to dive - not look at fish! You can hire a car and drive up there (best with a group). Dunno what gear they've got - I take my own. This place is an option for me next time if they'll cross the lake to get me to Minos Reef and to Taiwanee reef.
2. Learn to dive before you go out. Good news is that it's wet suit diving - so you could learn in a week in Egypt. Great dive schools - and a great experience. When you go to Malawi you can then do some shallow diving! Red Zebra can advise what parties are going out - but they won't want a novice along - this is their holiday too. Underwater photographers are only interested in looking after their cameras.

I'm an experienced diver and a BSAC member. We dive in all the lovely conditions you find around the UK (freezing cold, poor visibility, currents, tides, deep wrecks). So when we go abroad it's like a walk in the park although Malawi itself can still be challenging, with poor vis especially a problem for photographers. Last time I was there we had bad weather, lake flies, low temperatures, it was like the UK in March! It was supposed to be summer!

Find your local BSAC branch - they'll arrange a try dive for you! That's a good place to start!

Generally, going to somewhere like Lake Malawi without a dive leader / instructor in tow as a novice isn't to be recommended. You have to know your own dive limits and be comfortable to put things right if they go wrong. Many novices struggle to control their buoyancy and rapid ascents can be fatal. DCI is more of a danger 'cos you're diving at altitude and the nearest decompression chamber is in Pretoria, South Africa = a long way away.

Many people go and snorkel!!! You can still see the fish - but you can't get down to see them face to face.

I don't think you can bring your own fish home. You could probably get the ones you want sent through the normal channels - but you'd have to pay the price.
Dave G
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby funkyfish » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:28 am

thats some great info there Dave, thanks :tu:
funkyfish
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Crystalballs » Sat May 05, 2012 10:35 pm

What a cracking place to learn to dive amongst the fish you love
Crystalballs
EGG
EGG

Postby wesg8 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:21 pm

Really like the Barlowi, are they available in Britain
wesg8
EGG
EGG

Postby Dave G » Thu May 24, 2012 4:40 pm

Dunno. If I was importing they'd be on my list!
Dave G
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

PreviousNext

Return to Dave G's Malawi Safari Exclusives