Forum

AquaRank.com

Mbenji (Lake Malawi trip 2011)

Our good friend Dave sharing his experiences and photos from his trips to Lake Malawi.

Mbenji (Lake Malawi trip 2011)

Postby Dave G » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:53 pm

Didn't get many pictures here. This is why.

Loads of fish but lots stuck in these lost / abandoned nets.

Lovely red rock again....but

I gave the camera to my son to hold as I cut free as many of the trapped and dying that I could. This synodontis nyassae was croaking at me all the way through the operation. I had no dive gloves, my mini knife was making heavy weather of the rope and this guy has poisonous spines!!! I freed him without injuring myself though. It was tool late for the cichlid to the right. There were many corpses like this. The crabs that came to scavenge on the dead and dying were also getting stuck.

One cichlid looked alarmed when I was cutting hin free - but a couple of minutes later he came back and looked me straight in the mask before disappearing into the deep. I'd swear he knew I'd rescued him!

I got accused of being a typical sentimental Brit by certain dive buddies for wasting a dive just cutting trapped fish free. But I can't just leave an animal to suffer - and I love these fish!

Anyway right at the end of the dive I was rewarded by the presence of an Aulanocara koningsi!

There'll be more upsetting pictures later on.

Next time I'll show some good news! The dive at Ilala Gap!
Dave G
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Re: Mbenji

Postby daveyboy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:32 pm

aww its sutch a shame that these abandoned netts are are trapping the fish in this way its also a shame there is not a few more people like yourself who would take time to help these poor fish get free from these netts after all it must take away some of the joy of the dive seeing these wonderfull fish traped and distressed in that way.
daveyboy
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby Deak » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:35 pm

really sad about the nets trapping the lil guys but oh wow isnt the last one a stunner :text-bravo:
Deak

Postby Barry » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:39 pm

I'm sure nobody here would think your dive was 'wasted' Dave! Well done on the fish rescues :tu:

Great pics again... if a bit sad. The aulonocara in the last one is a lovely fish! :clap: :tu:
Image ImageImage
Barry
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby Tony » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm

the "ghost" fishing as it's called is a global problem i'm afraid and some of the lost nets can take years to degrade ,it is such a waste . :handgestures-thumbdown:

Fantastic pics again Dave :text-bravo: and thanks for sharing :tu:
Tony & Clare - UK's largest dedicated home breeders of Malawi Cichlids
http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk
Tony
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby Clare » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Such a shame to see things like this but it happens and it will continue to do. :(

Your a little fishy hero Dave, good on you for taking the time to rescue what you could. :tu:

Looking forward to next set of photos. :clap:
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby kirnig » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:40 am

lovely quality pix, shame about some of the subject matter :handgestures-thumbdown:
but that last un is a beaut
kirnig

Postby tile55 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:57 pm

fantastic pictures again, keep up the good fight Dave :clap:
Life is for living - not for taking! Live life to the fullest and enjoy yourself.
tile55
FRY
FRY

Postby nectarboy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:39 am

unfortunately, due to the needs of local populations who depend on fishing for protein, the majority of the problems in recent times seen in the lakes of Africa are due to fishing activity carried out without sufficient regulation or education from authorities on how to conserve the stocks and ensure the viability of endemic species. It is a massive problem, with non-native species introductions being the biggest problem. HIFI institute at Hull University, namely Prof. Ian Cowx, is doing a lot of work in these areas and trying, with some limited success, to improve the problems. There are some decent pages available on Google/Google Scholar on the subject if you run a search and Prof. Cowx , who was my personal supervisor for my time at uni is a very clever guy, who knows the lakes inside out, is also worth 'Googling' too!!
nectarboy
FRY
FRY

Postby Clare » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:20 pm

Will definitely be googling that. Thanks Paul. :tu:
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Next

Return to Dave G's Malawi Safari Exclusives