Forum

AquaRank.com

Luwala Reef 2013

Our good friend Dave sharing his experiences and photos from his trips to Lake Malawi.

Luwala Reef 2013

Postby Dave G » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:45 pm

This was another offshore reef. Ad's advice was to drop down off the rocks onto the sand and look for a number of breeding big cichlids. I put on a wide angle lens (but not the super wide fish eye) as I was unsure how good the vis would be and I was hopeful of some big fish encounters

First notable fish I encountered was a small one but personal favourite S. fryeri

This guy was very delicately coloured - a bit like a Tanganyikan (in my unsophisticated opinion) I believe the genus is Mchenga - not sure of the species

Here's one of the bigger fish that I did find - a male Aulanocara rostratum. Steve Lunblad of the Cicihlid Exchange in Oregon (who was part of our group) breeds these.

Ps livingstoni female holding. Malawi's shell dewelling cichlid

I found these big kampango catfish (Bagrus meridionalis) - guarding their nest. All sorts of small cichlids hide in here for protection. Catfish this size (the female above was close to 5') are bruisers - they look like a back tiger shovelnose- especially so when guarding fry. I'm sure they would have had me if I'd gotten any closer!

Now this particular picture caused a bit of a stir when I checked it back on the surface. Ad Konings reckons I'd somehow photoshopped it underwater. What is that small catfish just below the gill case of the bottom kampango?

Ad christened it Corydoras pallas (joking of course). I'd love to know what it really was!

I then found my way back to the reef (but was lost - it was not the reef I was dropped onto). That'll teach me to take a compass bearing before heading out into nowhere.

I snook up on this big mormyrid from behind. But my bubbles sound like gunfire underwater and he hopped it before I could get a good pic. You can see the size and the shape though - it had a big elephant nose. It was at least 2' long - bigger than all the cichlids

My air was now running low so I ascended the reef to offgas (not what you think - its a diving expression for reducing nitrogen in your body) where I was joined by a family group of one of my top five mbuna - the only ones I saw in the entire fortnight (or two weeks and three days as my wife has reminded me) even Ad was surprised that I'd found these at this location

Pseudotropheuse acei - the nicest ones I had ever seen. They have a sort of dancing movement when they swim - much like chaffinches in flight - wonderful to behold.

Here's the dominant male

brooding female (notice the red rock and green algae - colours go well with blue and yellow cichlids)

What a beauty!

This was the top of the reef - and by now my air was running low, my dive computer was having a fit (its got air integration) and I needed to surface - so I had to leave my new friends behind.. Thats a yellow fin borleyi ruining the family picture.

Goodbye!
Dave G
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Re: Luwala Reef 2013

Postby adamneilwilson » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:45 pm

Brilliant piece there! Those acei look amazing, such bright defined colours

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
adamneilwilson
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby andywroe » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:40 am

Your pics are truly amazing :clap:
love the acei but that Aulanocara rostratum is something else :clap: :tu:
HULL CITY BEST TEAM IN YORKSHIRE
andywroe

Postby Tony » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:07 pm

:text-goodpost: , brilliant Dave :clap: :tu:
Tony & Clare - UK's largest dedicated home breeders of Malawi Cichlids
http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk
Tony
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby Clare » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:07 pm

Oh wow, those acei photos are fantastic. I love acei.

I love your capture of the catfish and that little stranger getting protection from them. Awww.

Excellent writeup. :tu:
We supply high quality, home bred Malawi Cichlids to the UK http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk Next day courier £15 Sat courier £26
Clare
ADMIN
ADMIN

Return to Dave G's Malawi Safari Exclusives