Forum

AquaRank.com

Figure of eight puffer

For anything to do with any fish not from the African rift lakes., including, marine, cold water and all other cichlids.

Figure of eight puffer

Postby amcfly36 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi, I've had figure of eight puffer for a while now and i know they use the rock to grind down their beaks, but the other day i caught him eating quite a large piece of rock and again today i caught him swallowing another large piece of rock, does anyone know if this is normal and will he digest it OK?
amcfly36
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Re: Figure of eight puffer

Postby Becca » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:21 pm

No idea, never kept these :text-imsorry:
Becca

Postby cichlid crazy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:29 pm

By a large piece of rock, what size are you meaning and what kind of food are you feeding it?
cichlid crazy

Postby amcfly36 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:13 pm

The piece of rock was probably a little smaller than a pea, the first one i just saw him with it in his mouth but the second one i watched him swallow it, i feed him prawns, cockles, bloodworm and snails.
amcfly36
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby cichlid crazy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:04 pm

Sometimes by eating rocks or small bits of gravel some animals do this to aid their digestion, don't know if this applies to Puffer fish though :handgestures-thumbup:
cichlid crazy

Postby amcfly36 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:44 pm

maybe thats it, i just cant find anything about them that says they eat the rock just that they grind thier beaks down on it.
amcfly36
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Postby dtyharry » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:42 pm

If they are eating plenty of snails that should keep their ever growing teeth down. If they are allowed to grow too long it prevents them moving their mouths and they die. South American puffers are most well known for this, mine would not eat snails so had to anaesthatise them with a drop of clove oil and grind them down, nightmare!
dtyharry
EGG
EGG

Return to NON - Rift Lake Fish