Forum

AquaRank.com

Bigger Synodontis?

For all your lovely bottom dwelling fish. Share your expertise and show of your pics.

Bigger Synodontis?

Postby Ben M » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi I have a synodontis lucipinnis ATM in my 4ft, 210l mbuna tank, but I'd like to get another syno or 2 that will be quite a bit bigger. I'm obviously not looking for a monster, but something quite impressive that will be ok in a 4ft tank. I'm not keen on getting a hybrid, so what would be a suitable syno that grows to maybe 9-10 inches that isn't too expensive and is easily available?

Ben M
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Re: Bigger Synodontis?

Postby Ben M » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:20 pm

I've had a look on frisby's website, and they have S. decorus, eurupterus and ocellifer. I know the ocellifer is too big, but the other 2 look ideal. Are there any potential problems with keeping these 2 species together and with my lucipinnis?
Ben M
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Ben M » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:35 pm

Another update lol. I've rang frisby's and they have eupterus in for £10 @ 4in. I'd like to get a couple, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that they may fight if I get more than one of them? It might have been Tony that mentioned it, but I'm not sure...
Ben M
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Ben M » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:55 pm

I've done a bit more reading and found that the featherfins should only be kept 1 to a tank. So I'm considering 1 featherfin and 2 petricola. Depending on the price of the petricola, I may just get 1 of each.
Ben M
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Tony » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:07 pm

Hi Ben ,

We have kept Multiple eupterus in the same tank before, I think it is the Angelicus you may be getting mixed up with when I said more than one per tank would fight :tu:

Decorus get to around 12" so give those a miss .

Petricola will be fine but true one's are expensive compared to Lucipinnis.
Tony & Clare - UK's largest dedicated home breeders of Malawi Cichlids
http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk
Tony
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby Ben M » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks Tony, that must have been what I was thinking of. I think I'll get 2 eupterus then, and give the petricola a miss if they're quite expensive. Thinking about it, I may have misheard when they said £10 @4in for the eupterus, as it sounds really cheap and the background noise was quite bad. How fast do the eupterus grow? And what size have you found they grow to, as I've seen conflicting evidence on the internet.
Ben M
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Tony » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:44 pm

They are steady growers but this again depend's on the usual factor's with fish growth, tank size, food quality and regularity, water changes etc.

I think the price will be right , the last time I spoke to him he was saying he had loads of Syno's in that had been brought in by customers for what ever reason's and they were being a bit slow to move on, they were £12 or £15 each then , so maybe he has dropped them to £10 to try and move them on ?
Tony
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby Ben M » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:43 pm

I got a couple yesterday. He said he couldn't say what species they were, so I picked the 2 that looked most like eupterus. They could well be hybrids, but I don't really care as long as they don't grow into complete monsters. I'll upload a couple of pics when I get chance. They're much bigger than I was expecting, one is 8"+ and the other is 6"+. They've not been too keen on eating, probably because they haven't properly settled in yet, but I was wondering what alternative foods I could feed them (mainly to keep feeding costs down as they are monsters! Do they like vegetables, or are they keener on live foods such as earthworms?
Ben M
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Postby Tony » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:43 pm

If you want to feed them at low cost , then get some Tesco/Asda value frozen peeled prawn's , defrost and soak in the fridge overnight the amount you want to use , then squidge them up with finger and thumb in the palm of your hand and feed them, this is the cheapest and safest and cheapest food as your malawi's can eat them too without risk of bloat etc. :tu:
Tony
TOP POSTER
TOP POSTER

Postby Ben M » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:35 am

Thanks, I'll try that. I put some peas in last night (mainly for the BNs), but the synos didn't seem very interested. How often can they be fed prawns?
Ben M
SEMI-ADULT
SEMI-ADULT

Next

Return to Catfish, Plecos and Bottom Dwellers